Ecocapsule: minimalist pod for living off-grid

Will it blend?

The grunting from a bathroom that close to the second person must be a constant source of hilarity (you don’t grunt in the bathroom!? Heathen)

1 Like

The government should finance this. This has to be cheaper than putting up someone in the projects. Or development of additional units. Just stack these up in a framework and call it a day. When one gets worn out, simple to remove and replace.

Eat some fiber, man.

Hey, some people sing in the shower. I do 2001 A Space Odyssey impressions.

1 Like

What San Francisco used last time they needed a lot of emergency housing (1906) was basic wooden shacks, about 10x20, located in the various parks. When things were mostly back to normal, you could take your shack away with you (one just recently sold for a gazillion dollars, but that was for the narrow chunk of land it was on, not the shack itself.) And of course, good luck collecting water on the roof of that thing at all, much less during the Bay Area’s typically 8-month dry season.

I have known a number of people who’ve lived in campers or other vehicles in Silicon Valley, either because they wanted to be more nomadic, or didn’t want to live in a shared house or apartment, or were poor or broke. Palo Alto just recently banned living in cars within their town boundaries (which would theoretically have affected a few of my friends during the boom, since their offices or regular parking spots were in Palo Alto), and I assume some of the people I know now have also had to start parking outside of town (at least at the Walmart that’s just across the border in Mountain View.)

The article made me think of old school teardrop trailers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=teardrop+trailer&tbm=isch

Airstream used to do a version of the teardrop trailer called the Basecamp, but it didn’t have all of the bells and whistles of the Ecocapsule.

3 Likes

apparently they actually built a prototype, and have data on solar cell performance? or perhaps I read the site too quickly.

they are supposed to be showing off the physical thing at an expo later this month.

Read the marketing copy. Does it or does it not include among its amenities an orgasmatron?

4 Likes

It’s called Hitachi Magic Wand and you have to supply it yourself.

1 Like

Just the place to grow my huge banana and walk my huge chicken.

1 Like

Round walls are a terrible waste of space if the thing isn’t going to be towed all the time.

3 Likes

But if the wall weren’t round it wouldn’t be POD!

You’d have to be a total lamer to live in an ECOBOX.

3 Likes

Looks interesting in concept. Not sure it would be great if you lived in an area where weather forces you inside on a regular basis but seems nice for camping, emergency housing, etc. Having the solar/wind for a bit of electricity is definitely a nice touch.

Or pressurized! For space and under the sea and all sorts of Jules Verne shit limited only by imagination and Photoshop. Think outside the box, man (ma’am).

It only wastes space if you fill it with awkwardly angular things.

1 Like

Seriously, those rounded-polygon-shaped cabinets that can’t be hinged to open away from the wall and only effectively fit roughly rounded-polygon-shaped objets are pretty bad. Or are those drawers? Hard to tell without handles. I’m sure there’s an app for that.

Keep dreaming,

“But it’s so small…”

“What do realtors do? They get a wide angle shot from up in the fucking corner, Voila, an additional 150 sq ft”

“Problem Solved!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.