Ed Markey destroys Kennedy dynasty

I will be generous, and avoid the word “destroy”. It’s just clickbait-ey hyperbole.

Rather, Senator Markey helped mark the end of a dynasty.

4 Likes

At least some credit to the idea that the US doesn’t have royalty.

When Trump jr loses his inevitable primary, that’ll go a lot further.

1 Like

AKA the “accidentally voted to give Trump more nukes, oopsie” one.

https://twitter.com/jayteetodd/status/1300780444271681537?s=21

7 Likes

I’m not even sure he did that. Markey is 74, J Kennedy is 39. Who is more likely to run again?

Additionally, Having watched this race up close, I am not so sure Joe is the same candidate as the one being commented about here. Sure, he has a family name with a long and questionable history; but in my book condemning him for the sins of others is…well, to each their own.

1 Like

It shows that sexuality is still an issue, even in Blue Massachusetts.

I bet that slimy college kid quietly gets his promised job in the Neal organization.

2 Likes

That’s a very good point. For me, it seems that now that the “dynasty” is faded in that from now on, this particular Kennedy will have to compete on his own merits, the bonus from his family name is no longer enough.

2 Likes

And clearly its a dark mark in some people’s opinions.

This sort of makes me think about Baron Trump. That kid has no control over what his douchey family is doing. And let’s for a moment say he denounces all of them as soon as he can reasonably escape as an adult. Will it matter for most people? “Oh you didn’t run away at 16 and demand emancipation!” “Oh you weren’t denouncing them when you used your family money to attend Yale!” etc etc.

How can anyone be held responsible for their forebear’s actions? And should they face punishment for them?

1 Like

That’s a fair point, BUT (and it’s a big but) when you got where you are by virtue of that very same lineage, including an endorsement from the Speaker of the House based on little more than your last name, you don’t get to ditch the unpleasant stuff when it suits you.

To use your example of Baron Trump, let’s say in ten years he decides to run for a House seat, using all his family connections for money, endorsements, and staff, and using his “Trump” name as an explicit selling point. Essentially he steps into a ready-made organization with millions of dollars and unmatched media connections at his disposal. Would it really be that out of line to tell him to go fuck himself at that point?

4 Likes

Only been a senator for 6 years though…

3 Likes

Also good news, but somewhat secondary, is that Shiva Ayyadurai lost on the republican side. And in trumpish fashion, he is throwing a whiney-baby fit over it.

3 Likes

Joe Kennedy III really shows the limits of the Bene Gesserit breeding program.

5 Likes

And to be honest Kennedy was always a very well spoken, thoughful guy with some good plans. I hope that he does continue to serve, but yes, based on his policies and as an individual not as a member of a dynasty.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t think we are making entirely different points. People will trust or distrust that kid regardless of what he actually does. His last name alone is going to mark him…just like any Kennedy, for better or worse.

Again, having watched the Markey/Kennedy race up close, I didn’t see him pushing his family lineage at all. He spoke about his own stances and did the typical “bash your opponent” speeches and ads. Markey has been around a long time. Yes he is a progressive and more liberal than Kennedy; but at 74 shouldn’t he be retiring and letting new voices be heard? And why is it we applaud Pelosi for standing up to Nostradumbass on one day and then slam her endorsement as garbage the next.

Again…Joe Kennedy should be judged (yay or nay on voting for him) based on his stances and positions. Anything else is not entirely in his control and not wholly relevant…at least IMO.

1 Like

I’m not sure I made my point as well as I would have liked. It would be wonderful if every candidate’s merits were, in fact, judged wholly on what they say and do and not things outside of their control. That’s what would happen in a fair world. What I’m pointing out is that we don’t live in a fair world, and I don’t consider it to be a meritocracy when political dynasties (such as the Kennedy dynasty) use their family connections for all the benefits they’d like to accrue, but are not willing to accept the negative baggage as well.

Let’s be honest–he’s a nice guy apparently, but no objective person thinks Kennedy would have gotten to where he’s at without his family name. So I’m not sure it’s honest of the electorate to pretend once he’s in a two-person race that it somehow no longer matters and he should solely by his individual merits.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I praise some of her actions and condemn others because she’s a mixed bag when it comes to leadership decisions. Some are very good, others are quite bad in my opinion.

4 Likes

Well, I am not saying he is immune to the criticism, I agree it’s part of the deal. I think in some cases though the criticism is (and if I am reading this thread correctly) is that his family history is all that is needed to label him as garbage.

I would concur, as far as I could see through the election process, he is a nice guy and does mean well overall for his constituency. He’s certainly not perfect, who is, and if it had been in my district I would have voted for him over Markey…the voters chose differently overall. I just think some of the judgment laid bare here is a touch undeserved. It strikes me as the same tone from my republican family members when talking about Hillary Clinton back in 2016. :man_shrugging:

*Massachusetts

“…the first of his line to be thusly defeated in Massachusetts.”

I wonder if it took the 2018 film Chappaquiddick to enable this. :smiling_imp:

You don’t have to push your pedigree when no one from your family has ever lost an election in Massachusetts.

Until now.

2 Likes

So you would condemn him for what didn’t come out of his mouth?

Well, Robert “The Anti-Vax Kid” Kennedy Jr. needs to take a break from everything.
He is probably personally responsible for hundreds of deaths.

1 Like