Ed Markey destroys Kennedy dynasty

Well actually I would condemn him for leaving his safe seat, which will probably be filled by someone who was until recently a Republican, to run against a sitting Democratic senator (which I though the DNC would be against but hey shrug emoji I guess) as the latest in a string of family vanity projects.

Him getting his ass beat is just funny icing on the cake.

1 Like

Some dynasties are better than others; the Kennedys are not the Bushes. I was all in for Bobby Kennedy back in the day, Teddy had that horrible extreme moral lapse when young but was damn good as a senator, and while JFK shows some serious blemishes through a modern lens he was a revelation, and one of our great presidents. (Of course, there are some bad apples in the bunch, like the dangerously harebrained uncle, so they should still be judged on their own merits.)

I kind of like Chelsea Clinton.

Someone who grows up with a plumber for a parent has the potential to pick up lots of skills when young and could be a very excellent plumber. The same is true for many other professions. Why not legislator?

Markey is 74, J Kennedy is 39. Who is more likely to run again?

I’m not the best-versed in the specifics of this this but I recently read a post on the topic from Lawrence Lessig, whose opinion on various subjects I’ve found myself generally inclined to agree with for about 15 years. Lessig made a compelling argument for the need for new blood (considering the average Democrat in Congress is 25 years older than the average Republican) as the centerpiece of his argument for Kennedy over Markey, the two of whom he found to be similar enough candidates.

1 Like

This was exactly the crux of the conversation my wife and I had watching a local news piece about them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.