Eddie Murphy might star in a Pink Panther reboot

Originally published at: Eddie Murphy might star in a Pink Panther reboot | Boing Boing

1 Like

Not sure about this. The original with Peter Sellers is a classic. The Steve Martin was meh.

6 Likes

The success of Knives Out and Glass Onion do not necessarily imply that the world is clamoring for a(nother) detective-with-funny-accent franchise reboot.

Might be time to hang up the buggy whip and bury the horse already.

4 Likes

In some circles, that’s heresy, but I think you’re right.

4 Likes

The Pink Panther (1963)
A Shot in the Dark (1964)
Inspector Clouseau (1968)
The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)
The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)
Peter Sellers died July 1980
Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)
Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
Son of the Pink Panther (1993)
The Pink Panther (2006)
The Pink Panther 2 (2009)
The Pink Panther (TBA)

6 Likes

Instead of rebooting the Sellers series, why not do something different? Would a live action version of the cartoon be any good?

6 Likes

Doing a movie about Sir Charles “The Phantom” Lytton set in 1963?

2 Likes

A smartass pink Panther leaping on jewel thieves and French policeman alike?

I would watch that, sounds awesome!!

2 Likes

Maybe they’ll surprise us all and in this reboot Murphy will play a deeply depressed Wakandan fiberglass insulation salesman compelled to disastrous exploration of his fantasy life as a royal superhero. Sort of a Coming to America/Death of a Salesman/Secret Life of Walter Mitty mash up with Marvel and Owens Corning merchandising tie-ins.

7 Likes

Eddie Murphy does seem like a better match of Sellars’ playing multiple roles and how he riffed on it with Clouseau adopting different (bad) disguises, but you know who I want to see in the role?

Omar Sy.

3 Likes

Eddie Murphy can be a pretty excellent actor, and i hope that they don’t try to mimic Peter Sellers and instead allow Murphy to find his own interpretation of the inspector. But still the classic movies are just so good that i find it hard to care for new takes on the IP.

1 Like

Please:

2 Likes

To be honest, I’d only consider A Shot in the Dark and Return as indispensable Clouseau movies. The rest range from OK to “why bother” for me.

1 Like

Speaking of Richard Pryor, isn’t it about time for a new version of Brewster’s Millions?

1 Like

“Pardon me, but does your dog bite?”
“Damn straight he does, dog, and you better step on back!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.