Christopher Nolan rumored to adapt "The Prisoner" TV series in upcoming film project

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/15/christopher-nolan-rumored-to-adapt-the-prisoner-tv-series-in-upcoming-film-project.html

4 Likes

Is this strictly neccessary?

19 Likes

That floating orb is going to be SO loud

17 Likes

There’s a lot of whimsy to the original series that could be completely drained if Nolan doesn’t recognize its value.

17 Likes

Seems like it would be a better fit for JJ Abrams. He loves doing film and television projects written around mysteries he never gets around to actually resolving.

20 Likes

Can you really beat these two? Or rather, this Two?

15 Likes

I was going to say only do this if Patrick Mcgoohan was Number Two, but he died in 2009 :cry:

6 Likes

The only thing I’d change about the original run is the ending. I still don’t get it.

3 Likes

IMG_1073

13 Likes

After [fingers and toes and more fingers] 57 years, this project would take a helluva lot of “adapting”. So many shifted/lost concepts. (rovers to drones? meh) …great font nonetheless

9 Likes

I don’t care who directs, I’m just hoping for a nice “Hollywood ending” where Number Six decides “You know, I was retiring anyway, this place is pretty quaint and I don’t have to pay for anything, maybe I’ll take up oil painting.”

13 Likes

You mentioning the need to adapt it gave me an idea that’s probably really, really bad unless it’s incredibly well executed, and even then, I’m not so sure.

Who are you?

You are Number 7

1 Like

We don’t have the aesthetic anymore that came with this show. The colorful 1960s look was part of the theme of the show, of irrelevancy and fantastic dystopia. Since the 1990s everything as been gray and pessimistic.

9 Likes

Every seems to have forgotten that the 2009 Prisoner remake Nolan was attached to actually got made without him (and probably dashed any hopes of new remake anytime soon).

4 Likes

Yes, lost. Lost forever! Too bad the film & TV industry doesn’t have the technology to recreate it. I mean, we don’t even have the historical records for them to work from.

4 Likes

Shoes3

12 Likes

The series finale is one of the most bugfuck things ever aired on TV. The only thing that compares is the finale of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Mind-bending nonsense of the best kind.

8 Likes

Once again, my concept of time has been dashed by “didn’t they just?” and realizing that it was 15 years ago.

8 Likes

That perfectly nails the problem I started having with Christopher Nolan films since the release of The Dark Knight. He has no sense of whimsy. Much better than my describing him as being too far up his own butt.

Evangelion (TV version) at least tried to explain itself. I still can’t imagine what it was like when those aired in Japan. You get episode 25 and then wait another week to get more of the same instead of the big action finale you’ve been programmed to expect of mecha anime.

While you’re at it, add Twin Peaks: The Return to the list. The whole series was weird and what you expect if David Lynch. The ending still counts as a “what the hell was that and why?”, though.

7 Likes

According to Teh Wiki, the intro sequence references:

• he half-seriously proposed creating The Village as a solution for “what do we do with people who retire knowing too much?”.
  • eventually he was horrified to learn it actually happened.
  • he resigned to get sent there so he could properly blow the whistle on it.

This would have been better to be more explicit on screen - it sets up his goals beyond “escape”.

In that context #2 doesn’t want to extract info from him, they just want to contain him.

There’s two valid explanations of the final episode, with all that context:

• #6 finally cracked. Either he went full schizophrenic (in 1960s manner), or they lobotomised him, or they put him in a ‘chemical straightjacet’ of antipsychotics/benzos.
  • the writers gave up and/or took all the drugs before writing this episode.
5 Likes