Eddy Grant sues Trump campaign for copyright infringement over "Electric Avenue"

Same here; I was an ‘Mtv baby’ back when they still played actual music videos, and for some reason that vid was in fairly heavy rotation. I remember because Eddy Grant was one of the few Black musicians they’d play at the time.

10 Likes

fun fact: this album is the only thing i’ve ever won off a radio call-in contest. still have a fond place in my heart for this song.

7 Likes

It’s on record? It’s one more lawsuit to add to a growing pile? Wouldn’t it be beautiful if this suit, after he (hopefully) loses, is the final straw that breaks 45’s alleged fortune into some serious, serious debt? That’s my hope anyway. Sue on, everyone.

1 Like

That’s how I’d imagine things would happen (e.g. to anyone else, and/or in the less-normal-and-increasingly-hypothetical world), but by this point it also seems like “you’d better pay what you owe and we really mean it, THIS time!”

1 Like

They have issues with pretty much with everything involving creativity.

I would really love if we could have all of them live for some time in the world they’ve always dreamed of, that is, a world where everything is either black, white or camo, every piece of music is a martial fanfare, every picture shows battles and every piece of art is either religious or war themed, and every device fits the purpose of destroying something. They would hate that world, because in that world any unusual kid like Syd Barrett, Philip K, Dick, Kurt Cobain, Alan Turing, Vincent Van Gogh, Freddie Mercury, would be discriminated long before he could practice any art or science at all. They’re so lucky they can live in a world in which they can enjoy creativity, color, poetry, music, beauty made by their enemies; I’d dare them to accomplish the same when left by themselves.

4 Likes

Hoping on the: The wheels of justice move slow, but they do move thing.

2 Likes

Well, me too, and again I don’t like sounding so defeatist. Just venting which probably isn’t real helpful (outside of my head anyway).

I’m not sure this makes any difference – because if it works, it works – but I believe it does so not by bringing anyone else on board (I mean, who would still be on the fence, after all these years, about a figure as polarizing as Trump?), but by demoralizing as many eligible voters as possible into not voting. (It does reinforce the true believers so they may be counted upon to vote.)

I suspect it’s the real point (or outcome, at least) of modern political campaigning.

2 Likes

in Calgary, AB the name was co-opted for the nightclub district in the '80s and '90s…20 bars in a four block strip, no-one enforcing open carry, 10-20K people on the streets sometimes. But the best were the fistfights, usually adjacent to a hot dog street vendor, whose 149$ discount store Propane BBQ would often be used as a found in place weapon. Good times

1 Like

I just don’t understand how Trumpers can look at that argument and think, “Yeah, this isn’t utterly damning of Trump at all…”

3 Likes

Wow this takes me back.I haven’t heard this song in decades! Thanks Donald (I guess).

1 Like

Found this through whatever YouTube algorithm recommends stuff after I watched the original:

4 Likes

Um… obv. not a digital rights lawyer. Can’t they just file the takedown with twitter?

BTW if you haven’t, take a listen to Eddie Grant’s other stuff. Electric Avenue is about the 1981 Brixton Riot.

Interestingly this was just posted on June 9 in the wake of current events. Long. I thought, worth it.

5 Likes

Damn you Donnie! Now Electric Avenue is stuck in my head.

Funny that the Trump campaign would pick a song commemorating the 1981 Brixton uprising. As always, self awareness is nowhere to be found.

8 Likes

With that quality, they should have played Money for Nothing.

2 Likes

As long as Mister Grant doesn’t ask for money he’ll win. Suing my President for money is a losing proposition. He’s got a bigly amount of lawyers not serving time.

3 Likes

…and not just from the 1980s:

6 Likes

Grant really needs to put out a remake entitled “Black Lives Matter Avenue” and authorize Trump to use it.

4 Likes

Let it go man, let it go.

2 Likes

The world of all that is decent and just owes its continued existence to Alan Turing.

I am glad we still live in a world where there was an apology given for what was done to him.

1 Like