Edward Snowden, the WIRED cover

[Permalink]

You know, you can hate snowden for betraying an oath. Love him for advocating for the American way of life. Or a million other things.

For me, I think he’s the perfect thing to throw in the face of an administration that has lied, tortured, murdered, and held themselves to the lowest level of accountability for their crimes in US history. This is a guy they DESPISE for having exposed their stupidity. And making a hero of him is basically the only real power the people have left to try in some small way to cry out against the criminality of our current regime.

5 Likes

I’m surprised to the Reddit reaction to this article. Seems like they’ve decided that Snowden is a desperate attention-seeking loser undermining national security.

However, someone does correctly point out that the online publishing format of this article is just spectacular. I love it when scrolling doesn’t work as expected.

Is that Wired, or Tiger Beat?

Important point that’s often overlooked in summaries:

Some of the revelations attributed to Snowden may not in fact have come from him but from another leaker spilling secrets under Snowden’s name. Snowden himself adamantly refuses to address this possibility on the record. But independent of my visit to Snowden, I was given unrestricted access to his cache of documents in various locations. And going through this archive using a sophisticated digital search tool, I could not find some of the documents that have made their way into public view, leading me to conclude that there must be a second leaker somewhere. I’m not alone in reaching that conclusion. Both Greenwald and security expert Bruce Schneier—who have had extensive access to the cache—have publicly stated that they believe another whistle-blower is releasing secret documents to the media.

1 Like

Very interesting article. The point about the Obama administration bringing a new level of disillusionment for Snowden resonates with me, because it resembles so much my own thinking. Even as a non-American, Obama was the last straw for me to be finally convinced that all politics are just a bunch of smoke and mirrors bullshit and that not even the one person who seemingly represents a way out of this mess is to be trusted for a second. I find it impressive that Snowden nevertheless managed to keep a big enough amount of idealism to get into a struggle such as he did to try and save his country. Truly one for the history books.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.