Edward Snowden to Trump campaign: "old laptops" could vet 800,000 emails in "minutes-to-hours"

still better than the EU: Oettinger is commissioner for digital economy and I’m willing to bet that he never said one plausible statement about internet policies. the drinking game “one shot per intelligent Oettinger sentence” is perfect for teetotalers.

1 Like

When did that happen? Did I blink?

Even assuming that they were printing these out and reading them one by one, the FBI currently employs 35,401 employees, according to Google.

A team of 1000 people, working eight hour shifts, could easily read 650 emails each in a week. Hell, even if you reduced that to 200 people, reading 500 mostly one-line emails in a day when none of them require you to do anything other than to file them correctly should be well within any literate adult’s abilities…

It wasn’t even counter to state department policy. It was the same sort of setup her predecessors and other State employees had been using for years.

The policy it would violate was written later, because of the Clinton emails witch hunt.

2 Likes

Barron Trump, Secretary of The Cyber (and of Minecraft).

4 Likes

Is… is that true? I thought it was pretty much settled that she had broken with policy, but not to a degree that warranted all the GOP whingeing.

This was the closest I could get to an answer, from https://oig.state.gov/system/files/esp-16-03.pdf, the inspector general’s report this past May.

[details=Excerpt from page 54]>FAM and FAH Requirements for Use of Non-Departmental Systems: In November 2005, the FAM listed the connection of prohibited hardware or electronic devices to a Department Automated Information System (AIS) as a cybersecurity violation.38 In 2007, the Department restated this provision to prohibit the connection of “unauthorized hardware/electronic devices to Department networks,” which included non-Department-owned hardware/electronic devices.39

Also in November 2005, the Department adopted the policy that normal day-to-day Internet operations are to be conducted on an authorized AIS designed with the proper level of security control to provide authentication and encryption to ensure confidentiality and integrity for transmitting Departmental SBU data and information.40 Employees with a valid business need may transmit SBU information over the Internet unencrypted so long as they carefully consider that unencrypted emails can pass through foreign and domestic controlled ISPs, putting the confidentiality and integrity of the information at risk. The FAM further specified that employees transmitting SBU information outside the Department’s OpenNet network on a regular basis to the same non-Departmental email address should obtain a secure technical solution for those Internet transmissions from the Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM).41[/details]

Look at the complainants.

4 Likes

So many people, utterly mystified by regex.

3 Likes

does a google search on “Hillary emails”
gets "about 177,000,000 results (0.42 seconds) "

Hmm. I wonder how you could vet 800,000 emails in 8 days… Truly a mystery…

4 Likes

To be fair…those of us who use regex every day are still utterly mystified by it.

5 Likes

Here’s an excerpt from the next page of that same document:

[details=“Excerpt from page 55”]In 2008, the Department amended the FAM to define “remote processing” as the processing of
Department information on non-Department-owned systems at non-Departmental facilities.44
Offices that allow employees to remotely process SBU information must ensure that appropriate
administrative, technical, and physical safeguards are maintained to protect the confidentiality
and integrity of records.45 Employees are prohibited from storing or processing SBU information
on non-Department-owned computers unless it is necessary in the performance of their
duties.46 Employees must (1) ensure that SBU information is encrypted; (2) destroy SBU
information on their personally owned and managed computers and removable media when the
files are no longer required; and (3) when using personally owned computers, implement and
regularly update basic home security controls, including a firewall, anti-spyware, antivirus, and
file-destruction applications, and if those computers are networked, also ensure the same basic
controls, plus NIST-certified encryption, for all computers on the network.47
Also in 2008, the Department eased the FAM restriction regarding the use or installation of nonFederal-Government-owned
computers in any Department facility; such use was now allowed
with the written approval of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security (DS) and IRM with certain
exceptions.
[/details]

I think it pretty clearly states that what she did was allowed according to policy, and furthermore that policy was set the year before she was appointed, so it wasn’t even like she just changed the policy the day Obama was inaugurated.

That said, most of the criticism I’ve read about this is really just totally crazy to me, and really makes me think the people making it either have no idea at all what the Secretary of State does or what is normal procedure for someone in that kind of position.

Just so it’s clear, as Secretary of State, a cabinet position she was totally within her rights to just call her IT people (that is, the State Department’s) together and order them to make whatever rules and procedures were necessary to make her phone work. The fact that she ended up just using an existing server she had speaks more to her trying to work within the bureaucracy’s inertia without wasting a ton of money on an IT project just for her than anything else.

I mean, also keep in mind that she was perfectly within her rights to have State department lackeys literally follow her around with cases of special top-secret computer gear, for use in accessing classified documents. And in fact she literally did do that when needed, because that’s the sort of thing cabinet positions in the US entail.

This isn’t some weird government thing: I’ve worked for large corporations, and essentially the exact same sort of thing happens constantly with corporate executives. You can probably imagine how it goes: the company has antiquated systems running Windows XP on computers from the '90s, and then they hire a new Senior VP who shows up with an iPhone and a Macbook Air. The SVP tells the IT staff to set them up, and gets a blank stare in response. Then some fellow raises their hand and says the previous SVP didn’t know how to type and had his secretary print out emails on actual paper. Boom, the next day someone in IT (or their personal staff) gets told to Make It Go.

Clinton showed some questionable judgement by not having two phones for personal vs. government use (or at bare minimum two accounts) but that’s so far down the list of boring non-issues that it’s unbelievable to me anyone would care.

3 Likes

Thank you! I must admit I’m still not 100% clear on whether policy was infringed, but…

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

1 Like

Or hashing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.