Elderly man shoved to ground by Buffalo cops in horrific footage

Some people are treated as lawbreakers or on the verge of doing so, just for existing.
#whileblack

5 Likes

This is some horrifying shit, and it’s a miracle they didn’t kill that guy.

It also demonstrates why reforming police departments is going to be incredibly difficult–it’s one thing to suspend/punish/prosecute the officer who pushed this guy down, but how many officers saw it happen right in front of them and then did…nothing as an old man literally lay unconscious on the ground in front of them? Not one of them showed the slightest inclination to try to help or even check if the old man bleeding from a cracked skull was even alive or not.

Unless and until the rest of those officers feel more pressure to step in and do the right thing (or, at a minimum, not do the evil thing) than they do to keep the status quo, nothing will or can change.

20 Likes

I was amazed at the lack of reaction from any of the officers when the man fell and was obviously injured and bleeding. It feels like watching something out of Idiocracy. It took way too long for someone to say the word medic. I don’t know how I would react to watching someone fall like that but I’m fairly certain I would immediately say “get a fucking ambulance,” the minute he hit the ground, like a normal, rational, compassionate HUMAN.

20 Likes

“No, don’t pick him up.”

giphy-8

21 Likes

As reported by @Wanderfound in another thread:

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1268760680569532419?s=21

28 Likes

On the brighter side, the old man is still alive:

17 Likes

“police initially issued a statement saying the man was injured after he tried and fell.”

That means every cop who saw what happened lied about it. That’s more than two.

31 Likes

It looks like the cops didn’t mean for that to happen, but they still initiated it-- he wouldn’t have “tripped” if they hadn’t pushed him. AND it looks like the cops realize they fucked up as soon as they see the blood. Oops. Maybe don’t be a pushy jerk, officer. Tensions are high, everyone’s on edge, you’re only making it worse.

1 Like

Well they sure dominated him.

7 Likes

They pushed him over and then kept walking as blood pooled under his head. It’s one thing to fuck up in the heat of the moment, it’s another thing to watch an old man twitch and bleed on the pavement.

26 Likes

I don’t disagree with that. That one cop immediately bends down and his fellow cops stop him. They are more concerned with going after the other protesters than helping him.

6 Likes

If he dies later, they should still be charged with murder. In cases involving cops, they’ll pursue charges decades later:

13 Likes

Oh, they’ll train the humanity right out of some officers. Some of their higher-ups see that as an improvement. They don’t want compassion, empathy, or reason. They want the equivalent of a guard dog or an attack dog.

16 Likes

Per Dave Greber’s tweet

Traumatic Brain Injury

But, they’re cops, so they’re likely to be reinstated with back pay :rage:

12 Likes

Some of us knew this a long time ago, but still, nice to see someone else get it

4 Likes

I agree with you up to a point. But this goes much further than just stopping some arseholes being arseholes. It really is a war, but many in ‘progressive society’ have not realised it yet and have not taken up the fight.

The fightback against police misbehaviour (to put it mildly) is a step in the right direction. The black community fighting back (via protest) is good, but is but one aspect of it.

The right is determined to reduce your freedom. Capital is openly attacking democracy while reducing society’s (i.e. government) oversight and restrictions. I could go on (and on) but if …

… then I think the point is being missed. Though your definition of ‘opportunistic, egotistic assholes’ may be more encompassing than it appears.

Well this falls under the umbrella of “To Protect and Serve”.

You just got served, bro! (air horn bursts).

Hope that cop feels less threatened now.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve known it for years. It’s why my cousin stopped being a cop and became a defense attorney.

4 Likes

I’ll admit I was a bit off about the guy. He sounded like a hippie to me.

Twitter having it’s share rocket scientists had some stupid things to chime in about. Like this example.

13 Likes

On the darker side, he’s in “serious” condition with a brain injury. That is really not good. Even if he survives, he’ll have some sort of permanent brain damage.

12 Likes