Elderly woman calms violent intruder by giving him graham crackers and peanut butter

Originally published at: Elderly woman calms violent intruder by giving him graham crackers and peanut butter | Boing Boing

2 Likes

What the hell?

Glad it ended nonviolently and the woman is okay.

19 Likes

If fear of reprisal from authority is the only thing keeping a person in line, they’re already a pretty awful person.

18 Likes

To be honest, milk and cookies is probably a better home defense strategy than a lot I have read about.

25 Likes

… also less tragic results if they’re eventually used against oneself or one’s family members :milk_glass::cookie:

18 Likes

Subdued while occupied trying to unstick the roof of his mouth. Clever.

6 Likes

Unless it’s a Dwarf ‘edge welded combat cookie’ of course.

8 Likes

The problem is that too many people buy crackers and peanut butter, put them in the cupboard, and never bother to get proper training in how to use them.

13 Likes

OK, now I want graham crackers and peanut butter. Thanks, BoingBoing!

9 Likes

…“people just do what they want”?
I don’t think that standing around in my underwear, with a knife, in an old lady’s room seems like a bucket list item. There’s gotta be more to that backstory.

6 Likes

Sadly society contains / produces quite a number of awful people.

3 Likes

There is also the issue of safe storage - you wouldn’t want someone to get sick from mouldy crackers and rancid peanut butter.

6 Likes

So glad there aren’t ‘safe storage’ laws for mah guns! / S

4 Likes

no shirt, no shoes, no service. pants are apparently optional

Popeye GIF

( wait, not those guns? )

5 Likes

Alcohol and drug abuse, most likely meth , is the more to that story. And a system unprepared to handle people switching off of their legal opioid addictions onto illegal meth addictions in rural america.

Like this is all connected. Reagan shut down the treatment centers and the like in the 80s. The Sackler’s ruled the opioid industry in the early 90s and 2000s. Add in a few wars where people came back very hurt and didn’t get the help they needed, broken families because of “tough on poverty” laws, and now we’re here, where an extremely drunk likely high off his ass teenager is breaking into a house and getting mollified by graham crackers and peanut butter.

There’s more to the story, but the more is a society that reacts to people like this with guns, tazers, knives, and violence instead of actual health care.

11 Likes

This woman DID have the training!

From CNN:

The 87-year-old said she offered him a “box of peanut butter and honey crackers” and two tangerines, along with other snacks, citing her time as a teacher for her quick thinking.

“That was to keep him busy, what do you think? I taught school (for) 35 years,” Perkins said.

Perkins said she called 911 while he ate.

15 Likes

Also this dude was pretty clearly out of his skull, so it’s not like he was giving any consideration at all to the laws, the consequences of breaking them, etc.

7 Likes

Is it weird that the fact that she has a rotary phone was the most shocking detail to me?

7 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

Me too, and I now live in a country where Graham Crackers are rare! Arg!

1 Like