Elections 2018

Next time around the map is better for us. We took what we could get, now we begin arming for 2020.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll take the cock block in the house.

Still work to be doneā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah. 2020 will be better. Thatā€™s what they said about 2018.

I just donā€™t know if I can put up with two more years of this shit on the vague hope that America will pull itā€™s collective head out of its ass then.

The predictable outcome of todayā€™s election just further demonstrates how much more likely another Trump term will be.

4 Likes

Pelosi needs to go.

8 Likes

one thing that control the senate would have bought, that the house does not, is the confirmation of Judges. potentially so many lifetime appointed judges in the next two years.

Re: pelosi - sheā€™s been effective at some things, but her comments tonight about bipartisanship or whatever are like sheā€™s been in a coma for the last two years.

8 Likes

2018 was a hell of a lot better than 2016. We did ok today, but only ok. Had we not done what we did it would be a grimer future than it looks now.

5 Likes

I like Pelosi myself, but thatā€™s because I tend to ignore all the right-wing attacks on her.

It will be interesting to look at those races where there were left-wing challengers to establishment Democrats, to see whether it was better to have an insurgent or have an establishment candidate.

In my district a DSA candidate (strongly endorsed by Ocasio, and Cory @doctorow ) lost to a blue dog, who will likely win by a landslide. (Our polls are still open.) The DSA candidate would surely have lost, as he is ethically challenged to an extent my district would probably not tolerate.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a no-brainer

The Senate is a hard row to hoe mostly due only 1/3 being up any cycleā€¦ It sucks but the governors races look good and we have the house.

7 Likes

Lots of those guys are getting old AF and itā€™s time that will be their enemy.

Pat Roberts R-Mo is a neighbor and I saw him recently barely standing on his own the other day These fuckers are are getting old.

2 Likes

As far as the Senate goes, flipping it in 2018 was always going to be an enormous lift, simply because Dems had to hold onto twice as many seats this time around as Republicans did. The final House pickup numbers may be a bit disappointing from a message-sending perspective, but the NYT is projecting a D+9.4 national popular vote margin. Thatā€™s a huge turnout in a midterm, and speaks more to the structural advantages Republicans baked into the system in the 2010 redistricting round than it does to Democratic underperformance.

It looks like Dems are on track to pick up at least 4 new governorships, including in otherwise red states like Kansas, and at least one state legislature has gone blue. That helps a lot looking ahead to the 2020 redistricting process, which Republicans dominated thanks to them running the table at the state level after the ACA passed.

7 Likes

On the topic of governers. About all I can say about out new governer in IL is that he is a Democrat.

But hey, the Nazi guy lost! Fuck yeah!

9 Likes

oh, I thought you were talking about Steve King. Iā€™m upset that his race is even close. but god it would be glorious to see him lose

1 Like

Do you mean ā€œobviously noā€? Iā€™m hoping the postmortem will give us actual evidence one way or the other.

Unfortunately, you may be seeing a semipermanant division here. Dems tend toward cities, leaving the large rural states to Republicans, and constitutionally each state gets 2. Montana and California each get 2. House seats are based on population, so the urban rural divide will likely lead to a largely Democratic house and Republican senate unless something changes.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a paradox, isnā€™t it. Senators are likely to represent the fickle moods of the their stateā€™s electorate, while Representatives are more likely to represent ā€œsafeā€ seats designed by the stateā€™s legislatures for partisan advantage. Almost exactly the opposite of what was intended by Madison et al.

I am hopeful that Democrats will have the house. May they wield it as a weapon in our interests.

8 Likes

More good news for future elections. Tonight isnā€™t exclusively about the next Congress, itā€™s about the ones after that too, and on that front, things have been going pretty well so far.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Ummmā€¦ Proposal 2 was the nonpartisan redistricting question. The automatic registration/early voting issue was Proposal 3. (Iā€™m suprised Daily Kos goofed on that.) But both seem to have passed, which makes me a very happy camper. :wink:

5 Likes

I couldnā€™t help but read that in your avatarā€™s voice.

7 Likes