Elections 2018

I mean, I can’t exactly be happy with things playing out by the numbers considering. Hopefully the Democrats actually do something with the House, but it is very unlikely. At least people made it clear they want better voting systems, now if only the party who would clearly have the most to gain from that platform would do something about it.

2 Likes

Georgia governor still seems open. Kemp has a higher total than Stacey Abrams, but he slides under 50%, it goes to run off. (Where he’s the referee. Fuck!) Going long, but no concession yet.

6 Likes

With the Republican gain in the Senate, did Mike Pence just lose his special purpose?

2 Likes

Don’t worry, he still gets to whisper sweet nothings about killing gay and transgender people into Trump’s ear.

5 Likes

You know, the Beto/Cruz race is way closer than predicted. We can safely assume at 94% of votes counted that Cruz is the winner.

But also that we have not heard the last of Beto. So charismatic! Just needs to fine tune his political doublespeak. Slightly. About 2.9%.

5 Likes

uninspiring at best, incoherent word salad in a few spots

4 Likes

Looks like Scott Walker is losing.

bondsmirk

12 Likes

Screen%20Shot%20113

clinched the house. No more surprises.

3 Likes

So, the Democrats won the House. Good!

Everybody, relax for a moment, take a breather, raise some toasts if you like. This was a victory, despite how the Republicans will be spinning it. The Democratic House majority means that most if not all of GOP’s legislative agenda is dead on arrival, and there can now be some real oversight through House committees and investigations.

9 Likes

Not just Walker. The Democrats flipped at least 6 governor’s seats. This is really important, for example w/r redistricting and vacancy appointments. Not to mention growing the pool of credible future presidential candidates.

11 Likes

Still no concession. I don’t know if that’ll go anywhere, but why make it easy?

7 Likes

No. if a senate vote is ever tied, he is still the tie breaker.

What pisses me off here (regarding on your GA governor comment)…why the fuck are people voting for independent or third candidates still. STOP FUCKING DOING THAT. It doesn’t work, won’t work, only hurts the Dem candidates every damn time. I wish this nation would get woke!!

She is not conceding because the additional absentee ballots and others that have not been counted yet could very well give her the 76k votes she needs to over take him. This routinely happens each election that some races take over a month to decide as those additional counts still need to happen.

3 Likes

These assholes need to get hauled in for making threats in Ga.

7 Likes

It was coming anyhow, if it isn’t already here as a macro effect of “The Big Sort”. Increasingly you’ll see states like California and some American global cities doing their own thing in order counterbalance a Senate majority or presidential administration that got in mainly on the basis of the structural advantage sparsely populated (and thus more old, white, and conservative) states have in re: those offices.

It’s not great in that it will ultimately undermine federalism and national unity, but barring the unlikely event of a good-faith Constitutional convention (as opposed to the bad-faith anti-democratic one that the right is pushing for) it’s what we’re looking at.

6 Likes

For everybody who wants a third party option without wasting their vote, check out the “instant runoff” system in Maine. I had not ever heard of that system before, but it seems a pretty cool hybrid ranked choice type thing.

2 Likes

I’m confused – they do this on CNN, as well. I guess it’s too much to ask to simply report the news.

I think they should require it in SCIF rooms (along with all of the CRTs casting a green glow on the computer operator, and the surveillance cameras using shaky-cam).

3 Likes

Welcome to Idiot America. Just count yourself lucky CNN doesn’t add additional sweetening … yet.

3 Likes

I wonder what his endgame is here. If he wins, those who didn’t vote for him (or couldn’t vote at all) will have nothing (or certainly nothing better) for him but resentment, no? That’s a hell of a way to start out your term.

Or, it’s the new normal.

2 Likes

2018 was better than 2016.

The Senate was always going to be a long shot this cycle, the math being what it was.

11 Likes

Maybe Nate/538 can work on adding error bars or somehow indicating confidence in their predictions. I was feeling pretty ill there for a few minutes.

2 Likes