Electoral college tallying votes today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/14/electoral-college-tallying-votes-today.html

8 Likes

I am afraid to think of what future elections are going to be like.

7 Likes

Well, at least it will confirm for many what they’ve been hoping to hear (that we still live in a democracy), but also for many others, what they’ve been suspecting, or even believing (that the election was rigged, Trump was robbed, etc.). :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

We just came this close to not having to worry about “future elections” at all.

24 Likes

I wish people would stop reporting on Trump’s lawsuits as if they were actually efforts to overturn the vote.

While I’m sure he’d be happy if they actually worked, they’re clearly designed to do only one thing: build a narrative. They’re currently using that narrative to bring in tons of cash under the guise of “stopping the steal”, but which is actually being diverted to Trump’s campaign (so he can “campaign” for the next four years) and the the RNC. In the future, they’ll bend that narrative to support their continuing attempts at disenfranchisement via the usual attacks on ‘voter fraud’, but with a lot more ‘ammunition’ this time. And let’s not forget the general demonization of democrats and RINOs.

So, when people say, “Well, the electoral college has spoken, this clinches it, no more lawsuits,” they’re clearly missing the point. Those lawsuits will continue until they’re no longer profitable, regardless of how silly, illogical or ill-fated they are.

Peter

21 Likes

Did we really though?

e.g.,

6 Likes

I mean we came uncomfortably close to Trump actually winning a second term, not that we came particularly close to Trump convincing the courts that he won a second term.

21 Likes

The issue of faithless electors has been resolved, after SCOTUS ruled electors must vote based on the majority.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s the case. They ruled that states are constitutionally allowed to punish faithless electors, if they so choose. But that’s a far cry from them saying all electors must vote based on the majority. It’s still up to the individual states. And don’t forget that Nebraska and Maine both apportion some of their electors based on the results in each congressional district, with only two of their electors going to the state majority.

7 Likes

No worries. All the “battleground states” already cast their votes for Biden (GA, MI, AZ, PA, WI)
All that’s left are the “Solid” red and blue states. No drama here unless one thinks California, New Jersey or Washington State are going to be hit with a sudden case of “The Stupids”

9 Likes

Citation needed? The Constitution clearly puts the responsibility of choosing electors and how they vote on the states. State laws vary quite a bit in the details here, including whether electors can split votes or go faithless, and how they are chosen.

2 Likes

Biden’s expected total is 306, the same won by Trump in 2016

Trump only got 304 in 2016. A seemingly minor point, but you never know which straw might be the one that breaks the narcissist’s back.

3 Likes

Only because of faithless electors. Trump earned 306 pledged electors, but two defected. (Hillary lost 5)

7 Likes

As of 2020, 33 states and the District of Columbia have laws that require electors to vote for the candidates for whom they pledged to vote, though in half of these jurisdictions there is no enforcement mechanism.

In 14 states, votes contrary to the pledge are voided and the respective electors are replaced, and in two of these states they may also be fined. Three other states impose a penalty on faithless electors but still count their votes as cast.

6 Likes

“If only we had vandalized one more black church, beat up one more libtard, maybe we could have ‘stopped the steal’!!!” – some Proud Boy somewhere.

8 Likes

Shown one more of our butts with writing on it… /s

4 Likes

If it’s going to take actual physical removal from the WH for these yahoos, I’m willing to suit up and join any volunteer effort to do so. PPE or not, I’d love the chance to kick Stephen Miller in the balls.

17 Likes

Not sure I’d say it’s the “usual”. Between 1948-2012 there were exactly 9 total votes from faithless electors. In 2016 there were 10. I’m not sure how many there will be today but I’m expecting a non-zero number. The EC has become such an antiquated joke of an institution.

4 Likes

Two more steps to go. We have congressional certification, which has a incredibly minuscule, but not zero chance of changing anything, then the actual inauguration. I’m certainly ready for it to finally be over.

2 Likes

You’ve forgotten the “physically dragging the previous occupant out from underneath the Resolute desk” ceremony. (That one’s new this year.)

16 Likes