Elizabeth Warren's Ancestry

I’d guess it’s because you’ve already linked to it twice (successfully, we all see it) and so the site sees that as spammy? Since nobody here’s been claiming Warren’s actually a Cherokee (which was hashed out long ago), and since you’ve linked to it here twice, I think you’ve covered your duties there.

On the other hand there’s been a bunch of back-and-forth about Trump calling Warren “Pocahontas” with a crowd of white people making stereotypical “Indian war whoops,” and whether this is racist/etc. - input from a Cherokee perspective on this would probably be really interesting.

Also, welcome to BoingBoing.

14 Likes

What does that mean?

Write Twila Barnes - go direct.

Maybe I don’t understand how this site works vis-a-vis links. I’ve tried to post the link(s) to Twila Barnes’ exhaustive and definitive work in this area - but I continue to get messages telling me I cannot link to her site - “Thoughts from Polly’s Granddaughter”. It’s a deep site, and Elizabeth Warren’s false claims are an interesting part of what’s there, but, there’s also a lot, lot, more that’s worthwhile.

What I’m hearing from you is that trump is a deeply racist person.

4 Likes

Are you a robot or a real person?

8 Likes

Is there anything on the Cherokee perspective over Trump calling Warren “Pocahontas”? This is something I’d be interested to know more about as there were some recent disagreements here about that topic.

8 Likes

Thanks Adrian! Maybe you could link to a site I found in a comment somewhere very recently called pollysgranddaughter.com that refers to genaeological research over Warren’s family legend of being part Cherokee not being true? I think it could really add something new to the conversation.

11 Likes

So, this justifies Trump’s racism?

10 Likes

Oh course, cause see, as a white man, he’s allowed more leeway than women or POC. Everyone knows that. He gets the benefit of the doubt, but the rest of us are to be held to higher standards… Duh!

12 Likes

Welcome to boingboing! Here thar be dragons!!

16 Likes

I think it’s @Falcor’s night off. Looks like we’ll have to vanquish that vexing newbie by ourselves!

11 Likes

Okay, I get that. I just think Warren is enough of an academic and economist that she has done a bit of research into her family backgrounds, as has most of us who predate ancestry.com.

6 Likes

The link:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/06/20/cherokee-women-try-meet-elizabeth-warren-campaign-offends-them-119585

You’re just not allowed to link because you’re a new user. Give it (I believe) another four hours? I might be wrong. At any rate, you’re not a spammer or raving asshat, so maybe someone with a magic wand can shorten the wait. @falcor? @codinghorror?

I would like this discussion to cease being about Trump (who is a reprehensible asshole for fifty bajillion reasons) and focus on this because it’s important. Warren’s claims are not at all dissimilar from other people’s “family legends” and is almost a staple of American folklore at this point.

2 Likes

Like all the people who voted for JFK, or whose relatives came over on the Mayflower?

3 Likes

Sorted.

5 Likes

Well, Snopes seems to do good research and they cover much of it here. Far as I can tell, it hasn’t been proven that she ever made a serious formal claim of indigenous ancestry. I don’t know what the earlier stuff we heard here about supposedly refusing to meet with some women is all about.

5 Likes

Or all the people who had their name changed at Ellis Island.

2 Likes

I checked out your link, and while Twila Barnes’ opinions are valid, and her research admirable, it doesn’t mean her opinion is the only valid one, or that her research covers all angles (that Warren’s ancestors were marked “white” on census roles might just mean they were “passing as white”, which was not uncommon.)

Anyway, among other Natives there are differing opinions, so Barnes is not necessarily the final word on the subject.

7 Likes

This is often code for, “My great-great-grandfather was black and it was more socially and legally acceptable at the time to claim Cherokee ancestry”

1 Like