I’ll stipulate that the real story is more complicated, because of course it is, but what Business Insider (and Musk) are hawking is a parable loosely based on that story. So what’s the moral they’re so excited to have us learn from this capsule version?
- “I don’t need a gardener – I already have this beautiful garden!”
- “I don’t need a firefighter – nothing’s on fire!”
- “I don’t need a diplomat – I say what I like, and I assume everyone loves it!”
- “I don’t need an extra worker – I already have 5 other people who aren’t dead from overwork yet!”
- “If you want a raise, you need to hold a knife to your employer’s throat!”
- “If interpersonal questions baffle you, use cripplingly flawed science experiments to get the answer!”
Again, the PA might have been an embezzling meth addict IRL, but the important thing is that boss-apologists like this version of the story, which is fucked, because there’s no way to read this version that doesn’t paint Musk as a prickish and incompetent manager.
Clearly, people who get off on the idea of Powerful Decisive Leadership have no interest in whether it’s Good or Smart leadership.