Elon Musk labels NPR as "Government-Funded Media" - NPR responds by quitting Twitter

Something something little Dutch South African boy. Though knowing Mush’s sense of “humor”, he wouldn’t use his finger to plug the hole :expressionless:.

6 Likes

After seeing his recent round of snickering BBC “jokes” after interacting with a reporter from that organization, I fear you’re completely correct.

Let’s hope he never starts playing around with MidJourney. NOTHING good would come of that.

5 Likes

I’ll really miss my small circle of twitter. It’s all author twitter and generally good eggs. I never really had to see the mess in the more general circles. (Though it’s gotten very leaky now).

11 Likes

Will he be adding a “billionaire-owned media” label to all the news organizations that aren’t “state-affiliated” or “government-funded”?

11 Likes

Dragged my feet for a while but I just deactivated my account.

18 Likes

Well, better months and months late than never, I guess.

7 Likes

NPR CEO Lansing "noted that the network wouldn’t immediately return to the site even if Musk dropped the label altogether, saying, “I have lost my faith in the decision-making at Twitter” and “need some time to understand whether Twitter can be trusted again.”

I think that’s as close as NPR will get to stating that Musk should not be at Twitter’s helm.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/npr-ditches-twitter-after-elon-musk-labeled-it-state-affiliated-media/ar-AA19LZwf

17 Likes

Not to dump water on this but didn’t Fox News did this same thing years ago?

NPR might just stop using it, but hold on to the handle to keep that from happening.

14 Likes

That is based on the assumption that the platform itself is not a bad actor. I don’t know if you can make that assumption any more.

7 Likes

texas likewise has shoveled money into tesla, as has the us government via ev rebates. it’s hard to keep track of them all. this article has a partial list

8 Likes

More and more it seems like it just makes good business sense to abandon Twitter. It’s only going downhill from here, and engaging with Musk’s juvenile shenanigans tars everyone.

7 Likes

Last paragraph:

The messy deliberations on display in Musk’s email exchanges over labeling NPR’s account are in line with his impulsive leadership style. His changes to the platform often are announced by tweet, with sudden reversals not uncommon, or promised changes never coming to fruition. Because Musk relishes trolley-like behavior, there is always a possibility that his pronouncements turn out to be jokes. He has announced that the effective date for the change in the check mark verification system is April 20. The date is an inside joke among people who smoke or consume marijuana.

I abide by the principle of TSDR.

5 Likes

I fully expect that within a month Twitter will announce that they are deactivating “inactive” handles in order to free up the namespace.

And then we will see a flood of impersonations again

13 Likes

Twitter is funded by the Saudi Royal family, so I totally expect to see similar labels on all twitter-related accounts.

6 Likes

url

16 Likes

I think the only thing that may stop that is incompetence. They probably don’t have the infrastructure for that and would fail putting it in (see: Removal of checks)

6 Likes

What I hear you saying is that I should set up a bot to scrape Elon’s Twitter page every minute and when they inevitably accidentally delete his account, grab his handle

9 Likes

Well, it is.

I’ve got a coffee mug that says otherwise. And a tote bag. And a bumper sticker…

15 Likes