Elon Musk moves to Texas from California

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/08/elon-musk-moves-to-texas-from-california.html

1 Like

Gee, lucky us.

/s

ETA:

I have temporary dyslexia today it seems.

I read the title as he was leaving TX to move to CA.

Now that I know it’s the reverse:

16 Likes

No state income tax.

5 Likes

Good riddance. :fu: (for Elon, not Xeni)

4 Likes

My first thought. But it turns out the effective total state and local tax rate there is higher than California’s.

A lot of companies are taking this moment to pick up stakes.

8 Likes

Doesn’t really matter. Income tax barely amounts to a rounding error for most Billionaires. They play by very different rules than mere mortals.

12 Likes

Texas is pretty notorious with their lack of state regulations, so it’s likely that more than anything else. In Texas, he’ll be able to exploit workers and pollute at a much greater rate than in CA.

25 Likes

Texas and Elon Musk deserve each other

6 Likes

Dammit. Lucky us. :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Sorry, yo.

It’s a pity he isn’t headed to Mars…

14 Likes

Where labor is cheaper, its easier to pollute and he doesn’t have to meet plant safety standards.

13 Likes

Musk had been known to sleep in the Gigafactory and in Hawthorne during the “hell” periods for both companies. That he would relocate near Boca Chica given SpaceX’s current production taking place down there isn’t really much of a surprise I suppose. I can’t imagine one wanting to fly back and forth repeatedly right now, even if that flying probably involved private jets - you’re still crammed in with a bunch of folk, and AFAIAA he’s still not sure where he was infected with COVID-19, so…

I am, however, truly impressed with how much aerospace work Texas can attract despite not really having any real launch facilities here.

7 Likes

OK, bye

1 Like

but you do have Johnson Space Center that, while not having launch facilities, is the premier NASA Control Center for craft already in flight. Not bad. plus the humongous astronaut training facility and the giant-ass pool to pretend weightlessness in.
that’s all way cool, Texas.
Musk can suck it.

8 Likes

Why pollute mars? What’s that little red planet ever done to us?

Why pollute this planet? What did it ever do to us, other than give us lots of means of taking care of ourselves?

7 Likes

Hey, it wasn’t my idea.

He’s the one who wants go there; I just want for him to get his wish.

Immediately.

6 Likes

didn’t he already send a car and robot chauffeur?

3 Likes

They’re just floating out in space, so all he did was contribute to the pollution of low earth orbit…

5 Likes

oops!
musta took a wrong toin at Alb… err, the ISS

4 Likes