Elon Musk offers sperm to seed a Mars colony

It turns out he was beaten to it:

I loved this episode; an utter demolition of techbro culture.

9 Likes

7 Likes

A million people in 20 years? How long it take to relase the cyber truck?

4 Likes

Given FSD is two years away, that means 20 years is sometime after 2184 at a minimum.

3 Likes

Or the ISS. Imagine the six to ten people on board being food self-sufficient. The size of the agriculture module(s) would be enormous. The cost of sending up the soil and water to support them could drive a medium sized economy.

And any long term colony has to have its food grown in soil. Hydroponics are fine for growing food that provides caloric sustenance since the carbon plants need is extracted from the air, but the micronutrients humans need to live are extracted from the soil.

Sure, you could chemically extract that from the soil and make supplements all million (then 3 million, then five million, before declining slowly down to 1.5 million or less unless there is an influx of colonists) people take regularly, but that has to be built, meaning resources have to be sourced from somewhere, probably Earth, to make the industrial scale facilities to extract the required elements from the soil.

Plants do all that for free as part of the complimentary service package.

10 Likes

My thoughts is that you set up a forward base of operations on the moon for a lot of that manufacturing and processing, and launch to Mars from there. You would have to do a lot from Earth but sending stuff out from the moon would be beneficial, and would give humanity a chance to test a lot of technology and methods for living in space. But we haven’t even gotten to establish anything on the moon so looking at Mars is, something, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

nicolas cage bees GIF

2 Likes

Definitely that is the only way to do it! Unless we make some astounding breakthrough in physics, such as discovering anti-gravity. But all that takes time and resources. Just to get the first Von Neumann machine to the moon to start extracting the resources to start replicating and building those facilities will take more time snd money than Muskrat has, or, realistically, any of our great-grandkids have.

Quite Frankly, Muskrat has been watching too much Iron Sky thinking it was a documentary rather than satire.

5 Likes

For two years. In close quarters. Very, very close quarters….

And we won’t even be able to eat the honey!!! :sob:

1 Like

I mean, a bug like that, I really would pay attention to.
Musk?
Not so much.

4 Likes

Both slightly outdated by now, but the fundamentals still stand:

Has something on how many launches it would take to get that many people to Mars in Musk-time, especially with an architecture as convoluted as Starship. If Starship would work as promised. Completely detached from reality:

5 Likes

To be fair, a million bodies is a lot of decaying matter.

10 Likes

Riffs on ‘every sperm counts’ and ‘won’t somebody think of the sperm’

A spaceship full of bees and sperm? It’s some sort of 1950’s pulp sci-fi short story or B-movie.

Musk does not write manuals. The software is intuitive and self-driving - and updated so often the manual would be out of date the day it is printed. You can read it on a screen, as long as you are not locked out of your habitat trying to gain entry to find a screen to find out how to gain entry…

8 Likes

Obligatory:

6 Likes

It must really suck to be the only doctor on site.

9 Likes

Hasn’t this been tried before?

3 Likes

Hell, he doesn’t even read manuals. He pays someone to pay somebody else to do that.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I assume that they’d get hyper-fired; but I’d love to see some vindictive minion file the sperm sample with the other candidates for regolith bonding for construction or regolith amendment for agricultural purposes and straight-facedly insist that they’d thought that Musk had sought to make a contribution to one of the actually nontrivial parts of martian colonization.

I doubt it would be an especially effective candidate for either purpose; but those, unlike the supply of unhelpful wankers, are actually blocking problems for the program.

1 Like

Excellent post - highlighting the absurdity of Musk’s usual BS. Much appreciated :clap::clap::clap:.

ETA: (because BBS nagging me :roll_eyes:)

4 Likes