Elon Musk says unhappy Tesla workers should just "pretend to work somewhere else"

“Everyone.” Sure, Elon. Publish your timecard.

18 Likes

A minimum of 40hrs per week? This makes it sound like there is an expectation that employees should be spending more than 8hrs a day at Tesla?

27 Likes

22 Likes

Sure comes across as:

“Sacrifice your personal life to the mighty Elon!! I deserve more money!!!”

15 Likes

“he’s one hell of a toxic boss”

He’s proving himself to be,overall, one hell of a toxic person.

28 Likes

I don’t know, with ol’ Musky’s stock pumping and dumping patterns and weaseling out of things he’s already failing at, I wonder if this is just him trying to get out ahead of mass resignations for other reasons. Like, if he can fire everyone “with cause” before the company collapses, he won’t have to pay severance or something shady like that. Or even simpler, to reassure his massive ego that it wasn’t his fault that the company couldn’t deliver, it was those pesky workers with their pesky modern work/life balance concerns.

29 Likes

I think you have a point. Getting workers to quit in worker-friendly California, and replacing them with new employees in worker-hostile Texas may be a conscious plan.

27 Likes

For all of his many, many faults that’s something that Henry Ford understood well when he doubled salaries and shortened the workday to 8 hours in what he later called “the best cost-savings move he ever did.”

30 Likes

19 Likes

Say what you want about him, but he’s a clear communicator.

What I want to say about him is he’s clearly communicating what an asshole he is.

28 Likes

I’m sure you’re right, given that their non-compete isn’t worth the paper it’s written on in California. I suspect that’s not true in Texas.

16 Likes

Not only that, but he points out it’s less than factory workers. It’s like he’s suggesting they should be grateful they’re not in the factory or some nonsense.

18 Likes

And that’s about it!

3 Likes

He’s lonely and misses his “paid friends”.

16 Likes

Yeah, sounds like he’s not familiar with employment laws, especially in California. Requiring even exempt employees to work unpaid overtime is a no-no.

17 Likes

Space Karen:

‘There are of course companies that don’t require this, but when was the last time they shipped a great new product? It’s been a while.’

[Looks at the electric F-150, the new Hyundai Ioniq…]

More recently than you.

29 Likes

Promises workers on Mars…Workers who don’t like the work should imagine they’re somewhere else…
Swear I’ve read this dystopia somewhere.

6 Likes

So how does this work… he owns the company, and maybe has that right to ask for things to be done his way… but isn’t there an existing HR staff that does all the math regarding WFH and office space allocation and desired results… but Elon has final say?

Why even have an HR department if you decree things contrary to what has been carefully planned and executed?

All these rich dudes are such assholes towards other people.

9 Likes

Except “fun” should really be “conducive to mental health”.

7 Likes

13 Likes