Elon Musk: 'Tesla is restarting production today against Alameda County rules'

Because that’s the ideology that shapes our lives. I think the goal should be to change that ideology… what did Ursula K. LeGuin say, that at one time the divine right of kings seemed inevitable, too, and it changed? If that changed, so can this. That was a structure that had been a part of human civilization since pretty much the beginning of what we think of as civilization. How many actual functioning monarchies are left and how many rule via divine right rather than through some modern fig leaf of a constitutional/legislative order? Even the Saudis have a parliament (although them having Mecca and Medina is still a powerful symbol of their religious justifications).

I think it’s pretty critical at this point that we start making major changes to our global system. We’re really going to kill ourselves off if we don’t, and I’m convinced that we can’t use the system we have to do so. Which I understand is incredibly difficult, nor do I have all the answers to how we do that, but that’s the fundamental reason why we build communities in the first place, to pull on the collective intelligence rather than rely on individuals to fix our problems. Unlike the bullshit that people like Musk or Trump regularly say, they can’t fix our collective problems. It’s just impossible for an individual to do so. They are too big, too complex, too vast for anyone person to just “fix” it. We’re going to have to find the political will to make these changes, or we’ve sentenced future generations to hell.

Wholeheartedly agree.

5 Likes