Elon Musk triggered by Black comic book characters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/19/elon-musk-triggered-by-black-comic-book-characters.html

3 Likes

Racist gonna racist.

32 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

23 Likes

Some racists were similarly complaining that the theatrical version of Wicked cast a Black woman in the lead role.

You know, in a story about a character whose origin story is largely about facing hate and discrimination based on the color of her skin.

27 Likes

Let’s make a unauthorized biography film about Musky and hire a African American woman to play Musk. :stuck_out_tongue:

35 Likes

There were white martians. But I am affraid they were bad guys.

15 Likes

18 Likes

I wish my shoop skills were better.

Musk should have a cameo playing the guy on the right in some superhero movie.

10 Likes

I mean…maybe we should respect the efficiency of proclaiming that you’re an unapologetic racist with a single three-letter word?

8 Likes

Dude would be triggered by brown sugar in his oatmeal.

10 Likes

We got like ~100 years of pop culture where through the vast majority of it, most of the characters were white.

Now it’s 2024 and we want to keep using those characters/IP, but want to mix it up and change things to better reflect what America looks like, and ol’ apartheid wanna-be-Edison is like

Surprised Meme GIF

Don’t worry, buddy, there are still a ton of white comic characters.

15 Likes

You know, if he posted a similar photo grid of all the black characters who were actually given names in all comics until the 1990s, I doubt it would be a much larger grid.

8 Likes

There’s also the part where many of the characters being shown aren’t the same as the character the actors shown are portraying. (In that some are literally not the same character – Wally West vs Wallace West – and others have been POC in the comics for at least a few decades after various reboots.) Not that I expect Musk to be an expert on current comic history or anything, what with being so busy being the CEO of several companies, but whatever dude.

I mean, yeah, my reaction is superficially similar, but “Wow! :heart_eyes:” is 180° opposite the “Wow” from dingleberry there.

15 Likes

How dare contemporary films not remain stuck in the racial attitudes that prevailed 50-80 years ago!?!?

Obligatory /s for Poe’s Law

13 Likes

IIRC he tried to be a smartarse over the meaning of “African American” (to include himself), so he deserves it.

15 Likes

But he’s perfectly fine with portraying real black people as villains.

• I think that meme was originally a joke about the erasure of gingers?
13 Likes

I know it’s not the point, but Zandaya’s character MJ in the newer Spider-Man movies is not Mary Jane Watson. She’s Michelle Jones-Watson. She fills the same role in the story, but she is an original character, which is what these asshats always say when criticizing this casting. “But why make xxxxx black? Why not make a new character!” But this just proves they don’t actually mean that. They just want everyone to be white.
IMG_3582

23 Likes

Also, why didn’t he include this change? I wonder……

18 Likes

“Too many women,” is a tweet for tomorrow.

22 Likes

In today’s news: Older white men surprised the world has changed in the last 50 years.

Is Musk surprised that almost nobody today cares what race an actor is?

Ultimately making a movie is a business, and it’s about getting people to buy tickets, buy merchandise, and rent videos/streams. And for other businesses to feel comfortable with licensing streaming and with advertising.
The broadest target market possible for a super hero franchise, and almost any product, is a market of non-racist, much to the consternation to minority of racists.

5 Likes