Elon Musk's inability to be funny costs shareholders billions

Another of my favourites from him: “I’d like to die peacefully in my sleep like my father.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus.”

While looking for that line, came across this wonderful interview he did with Michael Parkinson - a legendary man with an amazing outlook on life:

It’s off topic I know, but way better than talking about that shining example of Dunning-Kruger.

ETA: The joke him and Peter Kay tell together @ 09:45 in had me in stitches:

The other day I saw a naked bloke running through the street, with a girl on his back. I shouted “where you going?” - he replied “fancy dress party!”. “What are you going as?” - “A tortoise, and this is Michelle!”

10 Likes

You’ll love this, then, if you have not seen it before. Don’t let the 5 minute intro re his collecting put you off. There’s a lot more about his life and career in here.

ETA that interview, dealing with his cancer, is priceless.

8 Likes

Anyone who wants to see Musk at his cringingly, embarrassingly, unfunny best should look up the episode of Saturday Night Live that he was allowed to host.

Here is a sample: Weekend Update: Financial Expert Lloyd Ostertag on Cryptocurrency - SNL - YouTube

6 Likes

Nice - added to my list…

5 Likes

His archive has proved very useful for other archivists chasing down bits of broadcast comedy that were considered ephemeral, and it showed he was keeping up with the latest trends right up until his death

8 Likes

@anothernewbbaccount and @PPK I’ve always found Bod Monkhouse and his library of jokes fascinating. A bit like Jimmy Carr with his clinical approach to joke writing; or Bob Cryer. Monkhouse’s collection of Dr Who Tapes saved from the BBC’s bins are responsible for filling in some gaps in the early years of the series.

Edit for added “Who”

6 Likes

IIRC somewhere in that documentary there is reference to, and footage of, his big ‘book’ - a book of all his jokes - which was tragically lost once and, again IIRC, eventually returned to him.

3 Likes

Ah well. Easy come, easy go.

4 Likes

We need something like Dunning Kreuger that expresses when your arrogance about what you think you know (or how you ideologically think things should work) makes you impervious to actual knowledge passed along by people with experience. It’s a very special kind of stupid.

2 Likes

10 Likes

This phrasing always bugs me. Musk didn’t “cost investors billions”, as much as he is a monster and an incompetent dick. He caused stock prices on his companies to plummet. However it was lies and bullshit speculation that caused said stock to rise to totally ridiculous levels in the first place. Again, we’re talking about a tiny car startup riddled with production, scale, and distribution problems, valued at ten times General Motors. That’s not “costing billions”. That’s fake money that appeared and then went away again. Some people bought stock at $100, it went to $500, then back to $100 again, where it should have been anyway. That isn’t costing anyone $400.

I wish we’d stop treating the stock market like it’s affecting us all deeply, rather than the rich manbaby’s roulette wheel that it is.

8 Likes

Run Away The Princess Bride GIF by Disney+

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.