Elon Musk's inability to be funny costs shareholders billions

Originally published at: Elon Musk's inability to be funny costs shareholders billions | Boing Boing

12 Likes

His tragic flaw is that there is nothing at all to him

33 Likes

He’s all flaw, all the time.

28 Likes
  • Lal : Father - what is the significance of laughter?

Lt. Cmdr. Data : It is a human physiological response to humor.

Lal : Then, judging from their laughter, the children at school found my remarks humorous. So without understanding humor, I have somehow mastered it.

Lt. Cmdr. Data : […] Lal.

Lal : Yes, Father?

Lt. Cmdr. Data : The children were not laughing with you, they were laughing at you.

Lal : Explain.

Lt. Cmdr. Data : One is meant kindly, the other is not.

47 Likes

…drifted into some of the more poisonous corners of the far right.

Having been unfairly bothered by troublesome matters such as being forced to provide backpay to and providing a safe work environment for SpaceX employees… well… that taught him a lesson: Ya gotta go with the team that doesn’t give a fuck for doing the right thing.

16 Likes

… yeah, that was like Olympic-level shitposting

16 Likes

Like the Burj Khalifa, he’s flaws all the way down.

If I owned shares in Twitter, or Telsa, or Space X, or even the Really Boring Company; I’d be asking for my money back.

14 Likes

“If Elon Musk has a tragic flaw, it isn’t his temper, or his treatment of underlings, or his refusal to follow securities laws. Musk’s tragic flaw is his inability to accept that he’s extremely, painfully unfunny.”

He so DESPERATELY wants to be the funny kid. He probably made his 7th grade class crack up once, and has been chasing that high ever since. But he is just not funny.

20 Likes

“People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they’re not laughing now.”
― Elon Musk

33 Likes

The Onion nailed it last year.

26 Likes

35 Likes

“He uses Twitter the same way everyone’s short-tempered grandpa uses Facebook,”

Is “short-tempered grandpa” a euphemism for “shit-posting, transphobic, reactionary racist who repeats Fox News-level conspiracy theories”? Because, it turns out, that’s Elon Musk. Or does it just mean “guy with no impulse control who really doesn’t understand the technology?” Because, it turns out, that’s also Elon Musk.

26 Likes

You’re not the only one.

10 Likes

I tweeted for Eon to blast off (for Mars) and got suspended by Twitter
BlastOff

9 Likes

I imagine he’s got a bit of disconnect, as he’s likely got flunkies surrounding him saying he’s a complete laugh riot.

13 Likes

He certainly has enough sycophants to provide lousy feedback; but the amount of publicly self-destructive flailing seems like the behavior of someone who either has doubts that they cannot quite lay to rest or a level of blinkered certainty that they’d be hard pressed to dent even if they weren’t immediately fired for trying.

That said, it’s hard to get too interested in his inner life for any purposes beyond threat modeling.

15 Likes

9 Likes

Weird picture. Is that a sixth finger on his left hand? It must have been AI generated.

3 Likes

Liked, but shame on you for besmirching the legendary Bob Monkhouse’s best ever line and possibly the best ever stand-up line ever.

6 Likes

Although he has done his best (worst?) to deflate the stock price, I’m pretty confident it was well overvalued for a long time and an adjustment of some sort was inevitable once the rest of the car industry (you know, people who do know a fuck of a lot about making cars, but needed - and still do - to learn about software) started getting real about EVs.

And wanting to be liked is such an egregiously odd billionaire, rent-seeking, late-stage capitalist quality.
If he’d tried to stick to just being a boring, be-suited business tycoon, he might have got away with it…

…Nah - who am I kidding, he could never have made even that attempt to be straight work. He’s an entitled, arrogant, narcissistic fuckwit.

7 Likes