Elon Musk's Tesla denies claims of unintended acceleration in vehicles

My post criticizing Boing Boing for not including the very relevant information that it was ONE person filing the complaint (Sparks) that is a Short-seller and not even a Tesla owner was flagged as spam and hidden! Why? Xeni should post an apology for misleading or at the very least “incomplete” story. Come on Boing Boing you were created to fight for media fairness and truth!

4 Likes

Yep my post was hidden as Spam also.

I really don’t how people think that. He’s delivered an absolutely spectacular product, revolutionized the automobile probably as much as the iPhone revolutionized cellphones, he’s beaten all sorts of odds by bootstrapping a new car company with most of the production happening in America, and the list goes on and on. How exactly do you think he’s the Trump of the auto world?

4 Likes

At least when he is not endangering people’s lives by baselessly accusing them of pedophilia. I applaud both Tesla and SpaceX and wish them success, but I could never buy a car made by company lead by such toxic person.

3 Likes

Something tells me if you could get to know every car company CEO you’d find that making a horrible joke about someone “looking like a pedo” ranks pretty low compared to the crimes committed by the other CEOs… But who knows, I might be wrong. Personally I think his terrible jokes are massively offset by his hammering more nails into the coffin of the internal combustion engine than anyone else I can think of.

2 Likes

There’s a real risk that person who was accused of pedophilia will be murdered by vigilantes, especially when the accuser is a person with so much power. Before that situation I really respected Elon Musk, but now I’m disgusted.

I agree completely. Even if he would personally murder several people it would be massively offset anyway, I just can’t force myself to support anything he taints with his person due to his behavior.

3 Likes

Does his bad behavior go beyond that one comment? Seems like a decent guy otherwise, but I admit to not knowing that much about his personal life, or caring that much since his work is so spectacular. Especially since he apologized for it:

1 Like

Discounting that one comment he seems to be way better than most CEOs. At least he has more positive goals than profit maximization at all cost, and he is a visionary. I liked his interview with Joe Rogan.

2 Likes

BB is anti-Tesla?

Some people are easily dazzled by the shiny newness of… the new… and flip the blinders when their long-sought ‘dream-leader’ is found… but when it comes to people, the easily dazzled (and major stockholders) just shrug their shoulders:

List of lawsuits involving Tesla, Inc. - Wikipedia.

https://teslanews.org/teslas-tough-week-overworked-employees-sexist-culture-and-a-stock-downgrade/

BTW: Musk effectively controls Tesla, which means he has the power to address “issues” (read: racism and sexism) arising in Tesla plants.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/how-elon-musk-controls-tesla-with-only-a-minority-stake-14564491

4 Likes

Fixed link:

List of lawsuits involving Tesla, Inc. - Wikipedia.

If they’re going to make headlines for an employee using a slur, it’s amazing they’ve gotten this far. I don’t know if you have much experience with good ol Fremont, CA, but it’d be a miracle if 10,000 people could work together in a factory there without a few issues, especially when there’s an army of investors who are shorting Tesla stock blowing up every controversy they can.

But nothing on that list (and admittedly I only skimmed it) comes close to, say, VW gaming their emissions systems…

I hope their HR department gets super vigilant about this kind of thing, would be a shame for such a spectacular product to be hobbled by something so easily fixed.

Hardly. Take a ride in one sometime, or just talk to someone who owns one. And I’m wondering: can you name a single person who has done more to kill the internal combustion engine in recent years than Elon Musk / Tesla?

4 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Again with being dazzled.

Yea. About those owners…

https://www.hotcars.com/problems-with-tesla-nobody-talks-about/

3 Likes

You realize I could post countless testimonials that completely contradict every one of those that you just posted, right? And just about every publication that votes for a car of the year names a Tesla. I think with any car there’s going to be lots of people who are unhappy with them, but the percent of happy Tesla owners really is astounding, and is higher than any other car manufacturer:

Since that link won’t load with AdBlock enabled, posting the main points since they’re so relevant:

• Tesla customers are more satisfied than those of any other auto brand for the third consecutive year, according to Consumer Reports, which placed Tesla first on its 2019 list of auto brands ranked by owner satisfaction.
  • Tesla received 89 out of 100 possible points for its owner satisfaction rating, which represents an average of all of an auto brand’s models. The next highest was 86.

Talk to someone who owns a Tesla sometime. But I think it’s all beside the larger point, which is that Tesla is massively hastening the demise of ICE vehicles. I’m genuinely curious: Do you dispute that? Can you name a person or organization that is doing more to kill the ICE? And don’t you think that’s a good thing?

6 Likes

Capitalism is hierarchical. Musk is a capitalist. Musk’s authoritarian tendencies should be obvious to anyone paying attention, but we are told to ignore it in the interests of green capitalism. I won’t do that because I don’t trust green capitalism to stop climate change.

As I have said before, Musk thinks he is the Arkady Bogdanov of his story, but all his actions say he is Phyllis Boyle. He is not to be trusted.

9 Likes

Why would you be surprised. It is Elon Musk. He called someone a “Pedo guy” for no reason then emailed a journalist claiming he has evidence to back that up. He is not a mature or rational person. He is a narcist who behaves likes a child.

2 Likes

Maybe a higher percentage of Tesla owners drive like dicks and use the autopilot feature as a handy excuse to blame the car when they get into accidents.

“revolutionized the automobile” - not really. Tesla are just one of many companies producing electric cars. His is however pioneering some very bad driver-distracting technology like Karaoke in cars.

Yes, at the time their slogan was “The car in front was a Toyota,” giving rise to this amusing gif:
toyota

Came here to post this - went away satisfied.

I remember P.J.O’Rourke did an insightful article on the Toyotas. There is was no firm evidence for the Toyotas accelerating other than the drivers trod on the wrong pedal. There were similar cases in other cars, yet the automobile media picked on one foreign car and hounded it.

Early days, but the automobile media seems to be picking on a new technology and hounding that. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

2 Likes

Yeah, but this is actually a place where it is appropriate to grade on a curve. Are Resla’s the only car sitting in the repair shop for six months? I have no idea. I do recall a my '99 Volvo sitting in the body shop for five and a half months after someone else hit it. So this might be noise about something that happens elsewhere. Or maybe it is far more typical for Tesla and atypical for my Volvo.

I doubt Tesla has a full two years of production where all the engines need to be replaced at around four years of age…and lots of them needing replacement on the owners dime (Lucky my '92 Saturn had an extended warranty…even so by the time mine started showing signs of “the problem” the dealerships had been advised to tell people that burning a quart of oil a month was “inside normal parameters” and did not merit a repair (and I have been told by others that once it burned enough oil to not get lubricated well enough the damage was no longer covered as the customer was required to do adequate mantiance). I got it fixed by just going to the dealership weekly and asking them to check the oil level. They got tired of it before I did and replaced the engine. Which was still a pain because the car then had to be sold as “milage unknown”.

So ok, you can find unhappy Tesla owners. You can find far more happy Tesla owners then any other brand apparently (although I doubt that report includes Bently and other exotics)

I think that makes the products pretty decent, with room for improvement.

It doesn’t excuse Elon, he has issues. He may well have done more net good for the world, but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t call him out on his BS.

(for the record I don’t own a Tesla, I know a lot of people that do, including a relative…but my next car is going to be “no car”…in other words I’m replacing my current small leased Ford with nothing when the lease comes up, I’ll continue to use a folding scooter and buses, should my life change and I need a car again Tesla will be in the running, but it won’t be the only car I’ll look at)

2 Likes