Englands new £5 notes contain animal fat, angering vegans

I think they did. They don’t give a shit.

It still doesn’t.

14 Likes

I was about to say that, but the wifi is slow here.

3 Likes

I’m neither a Vegan, a Sikh, Jain etc and I think they made a stupid mistake with this one that could have been easily avoided…

Makes no sense to me to use animal fats in producing plastics anyway.

3 Likes

Clydesdale banknotes have the nicest designs, but hardly anywhere south of Lancaster will accept them.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes_current_clydesdale_bank.php

2 Likes

I’m sure they would happily swap two for a tenner.

2 Likes

At least cocaine is vegan!

5 Likes

You’d think it would be cheaper to just deny it, that’s what they’d have done in the good old days.

1 Like

True, but we got bigger problems to deal with first.

2 Likes

I’m guessing this is like prepackaged food warning that it’s prepared in a facility that also processes nuts. But it seems weird that a plastic factory would be using animal fat at all-- paraffin, sure, but isn’t tallow a more expensive and less consistent alternative?

I would bet a £1 coin that in the end, it will turn out the notes were vegan all along and this is just some flunky creating a PR blunder by trying to be excessively transparent.

It’s not as though Britain has ever run into trouble because of animal products in apparently unrelated equipment; before…

2 Likes

Plastics manufacturing is very close to rubber manufacturing, which is more in my wheelhouse. An ingredient commonly used in both is stearic acid, which can be derived from tallow or from palm oil. It is quite a simple process to swap one for the other.

10 Likes

I have some Loonies (Canadian $1 coins) in my paintball parts/tool box, as they were the perfect size for adjusting this one brand of regulator.

3 Likes

It’s probably the weight - it’s virtually the same size as the Euro coin (close enough for supermarket trolley locks) but considerably thicker.

It’s going away, though, in favour of a new 12-sided design.

And here in Lancaster, the Northern Irish notes are generally declined.

Technically, that’s not an option, as they’re legal tender: if they’re offered in a transaction, they have to be accepted, if the payer (or provider of change) insists.
That’s the difference with Scottish & Northern Irish notes: they’re not legal tender, so acceptance by a payee is optional.

3 Likes

It must make sense to some people, presumably for sensible engineering reasons rather than moustache-twirling “let’s put animal fats in to annoy the vegetarians” ones.

I think it’s used to help stop the plastic sticking to the machinery used in manufacture.

5 Likes

Are they made from horses?

[quote=“Mister44, post:35, topic:90299”]
I have some Loonies [/quote]

And Canadian vegans didn’t complain about using birds for currency?

While I’m not vegan, I usually have a couple of fins in my wallet and confess to feeling a bit sorry for the donor sharks.

5 Likes

Well, yes, exactly. There’s a trace of an empire based on centuries of cruelty, never mind bits of boiled cow. Given how 2016 has gone, there’s every chance of a 22nd century one having Nigel fucking Farage on it.

2 Likes

Ha’pennys weighed pretty much 1/16th of an ounce. Useful, back in the days before digital scales.

2 Likes

Not since the Mystery Meat Scandal.

1 Like

I still have a tiny amount of hope that the world will return to sanity and the only place Nigel’s face will appear is on bog roll.

10 Likes