Englands new £5 notes contain animal fat, angering vegans

Yeah, but that could still be fivers.

6 Likes

So you’re gaining and losing pounds at the exact same time? Fad diets are weird.

10 Likes

Is plastic absorbent enough?

1 Like

… Vegans are such great allies to those other groups, what with their long-standing opposition to the use of Churchill’s image…

Someone should tell Peta that churchill wore fur or something, so they could find a reason to be upset with him :angry:

1 Like

Is there no one here who respects the fact that MANY different British constituencies (including quite a few from the old Empire) find this objectionable, and it’s not archaic information that wouldn’t have been known prior to production?

It’s a bad blunder. Should not have happened; needs to be fixed. Stearic acid can be created by other means.

8 Likes

Unfortunately not very common in circulation, but we do still have half dollars and dollar coins. They don’t have the heft of the Eisenhower dollars, but you could always keep some silver eagles for that and just use the lighter change for spending.

The great advantage of splittism. Out of one, many.

1 Like

I find this fascinating ever since hearing about it. This story was pretty well buried by the election here (and lol, India am I right?)

I posted a topic on this earlier:

3 Likes

I wonder if india’s new polymer banknotes will involve trace amounts of tallow…

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s pure coincidence that the picture on the money in Idiocracy looks like Boris Johnson with longer hair…

6 Likes

He did wear silk underwear, so there’s that.

I’m still trying to figure out why the tallow is offensive but the dinosaur sludge (ie: plastic) isn’t.

4 Likes

zooplankton?

2 Likes

Because the largest animal in there is plankton, and by weight it’s actually mostly from algae?

Plus those animals just died, they weren’t killed for the purpose of making a thing, which seems to be what vegetarians object to here.

2 Likes

There’s larger animals than plankton in there. Plankton’s most of it, but not all of it.

The cause of death only seems to come up when someone points out the animal wasn’t slaughtered, so I have a hard time buying it. I was on a knitting board once where someone said they didn’t wear wool because it was exploiting sheep. A sheep farmer asked if they would wear wool from sheep that roo – shed their fleeces naturally each spring. That didn’t fly either.

I mean, if you don’t you don’t, okay, but don’t pretend you’re being anything else but arbitrary.

4 Likes

American money freaked me out.

It looks like Monopoly money (so it doesn’t feel real) and it’s all the same size and basic colour. I was constantly worried about accidentally paying for a beer with hundreds of dollars

11 Likes

Don’t eat the money! Simple fix!

(Yeah, yeah, I actually get it…)

This always worries me in Oslo. Not because the Norwegian currency is uniform, but because the beer is so expensive.

16 Likes

True, and if you really started to dissect all the places where animals or animal products are used in one way or another, you’d end up not being able to do anything. I mean, we use animals a lot.

3 Likes

Though an animal being killed for the resources in its body is the largest sticking point to most vegans for many once they’ve seen the other side (the meatless way of life) even touching meat seems barbaric. I guess imagine if they used the corpses of children who died of natural causes in your money. There’s no way that wouldn’t creep you out especially when it is completely unnecessary. Also in this case the meat packing plants the material is obtained from are being compensated so the production of the money is benefiting an industry they are completely opposed to. Which means they are forced to support it just by using that money (how do you vote with your wallet when your money is what your voting against?).

5 Likes

Scotland hung on to them for quite a bit longer. I’m not sure when (or even if) they stopped, but I’ve not seen one in a dog’s age.

The only place in England I’ve had difficulty with Scottish banknotes is London, and even there, the lady selling Caribbean street food was willing to run up to the two Scottish guys with the venison burger stall a few stands up, who were happy to change it. But I witnessed a colleague being met with an outright refusal in a shopping centre in Guildford.

2 Likes