Englands new £5 notes contain animal fat, angering vegans

That’s not quite right. If I’m offering something for sale (but we haven’t yet concluded the transaction), I can insist on payment in new banknotes, old banknotes, Euros, dollars, gold bullion, Monopoly money, playing cards or whatever else I feel like, and if you don’t want to comply, well good day to you and I hope you find someone else to accommodate you.

But if you owe me money for an existing debt (maybe you’ve just eaten at my restaurant) and offer to pay in legal tender and I refuse, I can’t then sue you for the debt.

Interestingly, Scottish bank notes aren’t legal tender even in Scotland; but then neither are Bank of England notes. They are all “authorised currency” instead.

7 Likes

One of my earliest memories is helping count out half pennies to take them to the bank to exchange as they were being taken out of circulation.

The 1p coin today is worth less than a 1/2p was back then. We need to get rid of coppers.

3 Likes

The speed with which Britain changes notes often catches me out as I only visit once a year and find that I have to go into a bank and they will very reluctantly change them into the new variation.
I am also stuck by how similar the new pound coin looks to a thrupenny bit (and is probably worth about the same).

1 Like

That’s kind of what I meant. People can swap whatever they want, if that’s agreed up front, but if one has already committed to a legally-binding contract, legal tender has to be accepted, whereas authorised currency remains merely optional.

To go back to Jerwin’s point about simply not using the new £5 note, that’s fine when making payments - just offer the same amount in other notes or coins - but when receiving change, it’s not possible to refuse the £5 note (and still get change!). One can ask for an alternative, of course, but the other party isn’t obliged to comply.

5 Likes

Fair point. Apologies for not grasping it the first time.

6 Likes

Wow, I had no idea we were getting a new pound coin! Nor did I know counterfeit pound coins were a big problem.

1 Like

I got one once. I guess it was painted lead or something. You could leave teethmarks in it.

2 Likes

Well, there’s you, at least.

Of course, regardless of whether there’s a homeopathic-level amount of the disliked ingredient somewhere in the bill by design, it’s probably picked up several orders of magnitude more animal matter by way of being in the till at a curry takeaway or a KFC or a chip shop.

5 Likes

One man in North London was apparently responsible for several million fake pound coins.

The Royal Mint reckon that 2.55% of all pound coins in circulation are fake, and have a guide to spotting fakes.

3 Likes

I learned there was a huge US gold eagle fake racket, that put a small signature mark on the fakes. They have sense become collectable as well.

1 Like

Does the organization have a strong presence in the UK?

I don’t think all vegans object because of health/homeopathy stuff. Many are against cruelty to animals and that is why they are vegan and against animal by-products.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying at all.

I think he’s saying that the amount of tallow present in the bills is so minimal that it’s comparable to the amount of active ingredient in a homeopathic remedy.

That’s certainly an exaggeration, but I find it hard to read into his comment any interpretation about vegans themselves being into homeopathy.

3 Likes

Ah… my bad then. Carry on.

Every day’s a school day! Statistically then, I must have handled many fakes over the years.

1 Like

Most of the vegetarians and vegans I know here in the UK think that they are annoying at best.

I became vegetarian during the 2001 foot and mouth outbreak, which started close to where I was living at the time. In fact the farmers auction where it started spreading was just around the corner from my Grandma who was dying from cancer at the time. The regular journeys past all the burning heaps of cows and sheep (which did not smell anything like beef or lamb) put me off meat for a long time.

About the only reason I started eating meat again was because when I became ill with CFS I started reacting badly to onions, and I thought it was better to eat anything rather than what I wanted but couldn’t make (it seems like 99% of vegetarian ready meals have onion in them).

5 Likes

I’ve seen tourists have problems with them in Oxford.

4 Likes

Easiest way I can think of is compost them grow trees use the trees to make paper for notes.
Unless you want to go down the route of scrimshawing designs on bone fragments. Either way.

2 Likes

The shops around here with lots of Indian customers seem to have a decent selection of prepackaged vegetarian meals with large NO ONION! NO GARLIC! blazons on them. Something about modern sattvic fad diets derived from the Ayurvedic yogic tradition, I think, but anyway I’ve only noticed it recently.

1 Like

Certain Buddhist sects are not only vegetarian but also refrain from onions and garlic.

7 Likes