Enjoy some early Joni Mitchell

Originally published at: Enjoy some early Joni Mitchell | Boing Boing

3 Likes

One of the few nice things about last year (2021) was that it was the 50th anniversary of Blue, so Joni’s music was everywhere for a while.

4 Likes

Amazing how time flies. My favorite album of Joni’s is Turbulent Indigo.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I’m a greenhorn when it comes to her music (I’ve got Court & Spark and Hejira and… that’s it). This goes right on the wish list.

2 Likes

one of her very best…

2 Likes

I love Joni but please forgive me for suggesting a cover version. Herbie Hancock’s River: the Joni letters is excellent and never better than here where a reasonably straight retread of Edith and the Kingpin is elevated by a beautiful turn by Tina Turner. The original didn’t “need” improving, but it can absolutely stand having this side by side with it.

I remember arguing to some friends that if the passing chords on that were in a Steely Dan tune there’d be multiple YT videos about how it was genius. Herbie’s take on her approach to harmony is funny actually - I don’t think I know where it is though, think I saw it in a video where multiple people were explaining harmony at different levels of complexity…

2 Likes

classic… thanks…

2 Likes

mention of steely dan struck my cord…

2 Likes

Thanks, reminds me also that some of my favorite work of hers was the live recordings with that awesome lineup that included Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorious.

1 Like

Outrageous band! I watched that concert recently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.