Enjoy this marble race

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/16/enjoy-this-marble-race.html

10 Likes

I love how the race even had an audience in the stands.

8 Likes

Lost for words

4 Likes

Enjoyed this far more than I anticipated.

7 Likes

What did I just watch?

And, the split time determination and graphic, was that live? That had to be post production?
And the narration had to be rehearsed, gone over-- that couldnt be live to tape?
The production values, the presentation, the voicework… what did I just watch??

2 Likes

That initial orange lead got my attention. If they weren’t impermeable, I’d suspect juicing was involved.

6 Likes

also better than Nascar.

1 Like

Jelle’s Marble Runs is also the team behind the MarbleLympics Marble League, which is absolutely worth your time to watch. The “audience” of marbles in the stands and the taking-it-seriously commentary are arguably the best parts. The crowd noise even has different cheers for different teams.

Opening ceremonies from last year’s Marblelympics:

And some drama during the 2019 qualifiers:

(10:25 if it doesn’t start you there)
3 Likes

This is far better than Formula 1 - and with the world closing down, a perfect alternative to the Bernie Ecclestone’s[1] flying fag packets[2].

[1] yes - I know, he doesn’t run it any more.
[2] yes - I know, cigarette sponsorship isn’t a thing any more.

2 Likes

Heh. I remember back when I was a senior in high school, in gym class, the instructor had us do a 100-yard dash. I was never an especially fast runner (even though I’m a fairly fast cyclist), and so finished about smack dab in the middle. While we were waiting for the stragglers, his comment was, “Here comes the Winston 500!” Of course, back then, NASCAR was very heavily sponsored by tobacco.

Dont overthink it :smiley:
It was a good use of 8 mins of your life - more than you can say about the news today.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.