Enjoy this weekly dose of snark about bad product designs

Obligatory:

(bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlZdASmGCM )

But agreed, the roasting of some of those products is unnecessary, down to the very first image in the series:

I totally agree it’s impractical but that is not why you make stairs like that, you make them because they look cool. And I think they totally succeeded there.

1 Like

It’s hard to tell from the perspective, but I don’t think those stairs are up against the wall. There should be a gap as wide as that inward opening door between the edge of the steps and the wall.

But honestly, those aren’t going to be great. Folded steel is going to be springy as heck if they’re not securely bolted to the wall, and the spring won’t be even if the handrail is connected to the steps where it crosses. They’re also going to be quite slippery if they ever get wet.

2 Likes

I think they just decided to never use that door again, looking at the left lower corner and where the stairs attach at the top of the wall, I think it’s installed flush with the wall.

I will agree that it’s not the most practical set of stairs, the reasons you give are actually a lot more compelling then the ones included in the article. Vacuuming under there is not the problem with these stairs.

yeah, blind people may still wish to look good, for the benefit of their sighted friends. And some blind people may still be able to perceive some bits of color.

Here’s the manufacturer’s website, in case you wish to futher interrogate their design language.

https://www.dotincorp.com/

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a great point. My best childhood friend was extremely visually impaired, but can still see limited shades in bright conditions. Playing NES with him was a trip because he’d turn the hue knob on an old CRT way up until Rygar was basically fluorescent. Every time I see some feature that is sensitively designed for the visually impaired I get excited simply because I know the shit he has to deal with. Everyone likes to give Apple shit, but there is no other consumer electronics company that has their track record of accessibility going all the way back to the original Mac.

Edited for tense because he aint dead yet, despite trying for decades.

6 Likes

My college dorm room had windows very similar to these. And that was 30 years ago.

3 Likes

prison designers also like to use narrow windows. Many people have remarked on a perceived similarity of form.

3 Likes

My high school didn’t have windows, except in the stair wells at the ends of the hallways. Not even transom windows up high.

When we had power outages they had to let us leave, because we couldn’t see to work, and the air quality in the rooms degraded quickly without the fan system.

The cinder block walls too, of course. Very prison-like. I don’t have a lot of fond memories.

6 Likes

Did he look kind of like Adam Lambert, but with a big fake beard? Yeah, that’s what he told Freddie, too.

Well now his comment about putting Mercury in his mouth repeatedly makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, my college dorm had cinder block wall interiors. They were painted dark gray. I googled it earlier, and they’ve since painted them a much brighter color at least.

3 Likes

My high school totally had a prison vibe, can confirm. Though the class rooms did have plenty of windows but the central part of the building was an open court and the overall design of the place was fairly plain, perhaps it was meant as a way to build everything cheaply but the end result was something that felt like a correction facility

1 Like

I thought that was our job

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.