Entire music video in eye-straining magic eye 3D

Originally published at: Entire music video in eye-straining magic eye 3D | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The nausea means it’s working!

9 Likes

It’s a schooner.

11 Likes

No thanks, don’t need a migraine today.

1 Like

I didn’t find it eye-straining at all, after having acquired the image. Not more or less so than watching any other video at least.

That said, some of the static and quick cuts to new patterns made me lose the picture several times. It would have worked better without those parts.

12 Likes

Same here. The beginning was hard to maintain, but as soon as it switched to the finer grit, the falling body and hand, the rest of it was really cool!
I remember when those posters first became available where I lived. I was broke, but I spent ages sitting on the floor at Spencer Gifts in the mall (back when it was a cool store) staring at those posters until I could see the image. It’s like any other skill, once you get it, it’s just there.

6 Likes

It took me a while to catch it. I found it helped to take the video full screen where the black bezels of my laptop helped isolate it from other things in the same plane of vision, pulling me out of the 3D effect.

3 Likes

I think that may be the key why it is easy and not tiring for you and me. I also spent hours as a kid looking at those in pre-school and I can instantly put a magic eye into focus just by looking at it and slightly screwing up my eyes in a way that is impossible to explain. It’s an acquired skill like everything else.

6 Likes

Did anyone else find it easier to resolve the magic picture? I think the motion of the image helps…I can’t be sure though I can’t make it back to the mid nineties to check.

2 Likes
5 Likes

poltergeist

6 Likes

Just the opposite for me–I can usually get my eyes to relax and see those Magic Eye images pretty quickly, but every time the video moved quickly or flashed it “reset” my view.

4 Likes

I hit pause and see it’s not a sailboat after all. I’m not surprised. I worked as a set design assistant once. Finding something like a magic eye poster to match the script was not a priority.

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

Oh, great. Just great. Now I see everything in 3D! Sheesh.

6 Likes

Yes, I too found it easier with a moving picture. I love those Magic Eye books and always get them when they show up at the thrift. But with a still picture it takes me longer for the 3D space to open up.

1 Like

Yeah, I have the same experience - it’s just like watching a 3D tv, until they changed the pattern and I had to take a few seconds to reaquire the effect. Though frequently I find that even just looking at webpages with repeating pattern backgrounds will cause me to start seeing them in 3D (albeit with no particular objects in front).

1 Like

impressive. nice track too!

I’ve also noticed this effect when staring at water, like a lake or the ocean, at certain times of day/light conditions. It’s as if once you can see the 3D printed or video, you can kind of see it in any staticky visual.

1 Like