Entire Nevada Democratic Party staff quits after progressives win leadership election

Originally published at: Entire Nevada Democratic Party staff quits after progressives win leadership election | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Er, @beschizza, is there an Arizona connection that put the Az. flag on the top of the post? :wink:

11 Likes

I fatfingered it in our beautiful archive of flags. The correct and true Nevada state flag is now atop the post.

17 Likes

This story puts lie to the standard zentrum narrative that the Dem establishment are the grownups in the room just trying to get things done with compromise, civility, and comity. In reality, they’ll cave to conservatives at every turn but will ragequit if a progressive* wins the party’s popular vote (which is what would have happened if Sanders had won in the primaries).

[* i.e. someone proposing policies that conservatives in other OECD countries grudgingly accept]

50 Likes

17 Likes

Just to pile on, re the headline, isn’t the correct name “Democratic Party”?

16 Likes

Love it. lol

7 Likes

42 Likes

Because the Democratic Party treats power as an end in itself, to be used as little as possible, rather than as a means to accomplish policy goals.

Not just the Dems and I would argue that this doesn’t hold up, after the national party passed a $1.9T relief bill without GQP help. The GQP has been running to obstruct and dismantle anything post 1956 for the past 40 years. Can anyone name any policy that actually helps people, like a relief bill or the ACA, in the past 40 years? They have sought power for its own safe, not as the power to govern, since Reagan.

25 Likes

You’d think by now they’d be used to losing elections.

12 Likes

I thought maybe the Republicrats had fled South.

5 Likes

Not surprising. Democrats don’t fight for anything.

6 Likes

This means the progressives get to hire everyone?
This may be a very good thing, in the long run.

49 Likes

Dove into the comments to say just this. Wish Rob didn’t need to be reminded. FWIW, the body of the post got it right but the headline is where the impact is.

2 Likes

Yeah, this struck me as the normal “changing of the guard” you get when an organization changes leadership.

8 Likes

“Because the Democratic Party treats power as an end in itself, to be used as little as possible, rather than as a means to accomplish policy goals.”

To be fair this seems to be the case for all wielders of power in politics and outside it and across all political parties. If I were still under the age of 18 I’d say this is the entire point of being an adult, but now that I too am an adult I’ll point blame elsewhere.

2 Likes

Ugh. After jumping over here fast to address the headline issue, I went back to RTFA and realized it’s the freakin Intercept.

This is their shtick. They’re aggrieved. The whole article reads as if they are building a mountain from a molehill.

Rob, c’mon!

9 Likes

I mean, I appreciate their willingness to get out of the way when they realized they didn’t want to participate. Republicans would have stayed and obstructed. Democrats are good at acknowledging when they’ve lost if nothing else.

8 Likes

They did not just abandon - they are organizing a counter faction within the party.

Bad move. Dems need to hold on until the trump –– RNC break-up which is fomenting now over fund raising dollars. If old school dems in Nevada split their vote the only thing they will accomplish is handing the state back to the GOP.

Wait it out. You can have your fight later when trump cracks the GOP.

19 Likes

A bill they compromised with the Republicans on to garner a grand total of…

0 Republican votes.

Anybody who has paid attention could see that coming from a mile away. The claim is accurate.

12 Likes