Entitled anti-vaxxers weasel around California law to dangerously enroll their kids in school

2 Likes

images

8 Likes

My point exactly, which is that the government legally can and should take action when parents endanger a child by refusing treatment, and that this should be used for vaccination and blood transfusions as well.

3 Likes

Our son is heading to a middle school next year where enrollment is about half the school’s physical capacity. As a compromise to the school district under threats of closing, the school has agreed to let an optional alternative/correspondence type program that caters to homeschoolers to bring it’s kids there. Wasn’t too upset about that before, but now I’m wondering…

6 Likes

I love Samantha Bee!!

10 Likes

Almost there already:

It’s what gives me the most worry: that if it really does all goes to shit, no one will even understand how or why.

7 Likes

One possible sollution would be to vet the Doctors and make a list of approved doctors.

If an entitled Karen wants to have her freerange-measleparty-petridish-offspring exempted they need to visit one of the veted doctors.

shrugs Another possibility would be that the state could get a second oppinion by a CDC appointed doctor if there is reasonable doubt behind an excemption for example if the doctor has an unusualy high number of excemption or is not a of a field that normaly does not hand out those.
This should include Lawsuits for malpraxis if a Doctor is found to intentionaly hand out bogus excemptions.

6 Likes

I believe that is a “medical license”, and I would be all for yanking the license of doctors that give bad faith vaccine exemptions.

15 Likes

And parents would compete for the limited exemptions, trying to outbid each other. Schools could raise a lot of money. Perfect.

5 Likes

Hmm… Veterinarians with zoo experience do know how to use air powered syringe/dart guns…
Anybody want to crowdfund my new idea?

10 Likes

4frzx6mlryh21

4 Likes

Kind of a self-correcting problem, to my thinking. Gather as many unvaccinated children as possible, concentrate them into their own little groups, and introduce one vaccinated-but-contagious child into the classroom.
The patents refuse to heed warnings from tens of thousands of man-years of research, in favor of a couple dozen jerks who got kicked out of medical school if they ever bothered to apply in the first place?
Fine. While you arrange for one of your children’s funerals, you can explain to the other how their permanent disabilities are still better than risking ‘getting the autism’.

That’s just proposing that completely getting rid of herd immunity solves the problem of antivaxxers breaking herd immunity.

And it’s punishing the kids of the bad actors. Not the bad actors. In other words, it doesn’t address the problem by also hurting people who aren’t the cause of the problem.

11 Likes

Wine country, but Sebastopol is no St. Helena. I think the dominant industries are apple orchards and tie-die. And my recollection is that boingboing’s favorite document liberator @carlmalamud has his office there.

2 Likes

Precise date and evidence, please.

(No, I thought not.)

3 Likes

I was re-reading these articles yesterday

First, how tetanus was an occupational hazard in association football until about 60 years ago

And how an England international player went from playing in a match to dead from polio in two weeks.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but get vaccinated and get your children vaccinated

8 Likes

I think what we’re seeing is basically historical materialism in retrograde. Instead of there being an inevitable march of progress, there’s failure states which can lead to permanent or at least enduring stagnation and decline.

5 Likes

I was so pleased to see the catholic student lost that ridiculous law suit. I hope his parents are on the hook for the opposing party’s attorneys fees.

3 Likes

Everything revolves around me and what I decide is best for my family. The community I live in doesn’t get a say on what risks I force on them, all that matters is satisfying my irrational fears.

Governments are for the benefit of people. Sometimes they are only for the benefit of some people and not others. Other times they work for the benefit of nearly everyone. But something to keep in mind is that any collective organization(like a government) is going to find it difficult to cater to individualists. Individualism and community are naturally at odds with one another, we do make it work but it’s an imperfect compromise.

A few examples with dates:
15 June 1215 - Magna Carta
27 May 1679 - Habeas Corpus Act
16 December 1689 - English Bill of Rights
9 April 1866 - Civil Rights Act
10 June 1963 - Equal Pay Act

2 Likes