Epic battle between baby elephant and goose

It’s just anecdotal. I’ve been around Canada Geese my whole life and never seen one be anything but cordial.

1 Like

Those geese get really territorial and feisty during nesting season.

4 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:joy:

1 Like

There is another Canada goose sitting on a nest by the rock right in the foreground. So actually, the anthropomorphic narrative you’re looking for is that this brave goose is staunchly defending the mate (and progeny? eggs?) from the scary-seeming elephant.

Geese defend territories and get nesty in the first place because hormones hijack their otherwise fairly decent common sense, it’s that simple. Evolution obviously made em come out that way.

But why is it that two animals from different continents come into contact at all? Who allows these animals to interact, opening the possibility that one or the other could be injured?

3 Likes

Are you kidding? The only times I’ve seen Canadian geese being cordial is when they decide it’s time to fly off to Canada. Otherwise, they’re at least as hostile as domestic geese.

Wear a cup.
Seriously. They go for the groin and have hard bills.

That’s what the Barbarians thought when they attacked the Capitol Hill.

No, not that Capitol Hill, the original one.
But you should have had some geese there. Maybe it would have helped.

3 Likes

Let’s give Ozzy Man the last word

The goose was invading the elephant’s watering hole. Have you seen how much a Canada goose shiats?
“Hey, I drink that water !”

Um… Ozzy Man is already the third comment in the thread.

1 Like

Kidding, not even a little. I’ve live here in the PNW, USA for a few months short of 53 years and walked among CG’s very often. People my age, who did drugs of which our parents did not approve grew up in parks. Also, we have native populations here; geese that don’t migrate.
I’ve never been so much as threatened by a CG, they walk away when a person gets too close.
I’ve been chased relentlessly by domestic geese. They are delicious, but I don’t see that as enough of an incentive to owning them.
Guard geese, perhaps?

Okay, true confessions: at my place of work, we started a weird habit of calling geese “gooses”. To the point where after I typed “Those gooses get really territorial…” I paused a minute to think whether the audience was in on the joke or whether they’d assume I was a yokel (granted I could still be assumed a yokel for other more serious reasons).

We still call mouses mice, et al.

(edit)

Here in Oregon we have lots of gooses. They fly here from the south in summer, and they fly here from the north in Winter. So all year gooses.

In Artis (Amsterdam Zoo) a heron tried that with the lions. Herons clearly lack that geesy intimidation factor.

1 Like

Bonus snack!

Place I used to work in Central NJ was a big box building in the middle of a field, which had a couple of ring roads around it that were good for biking on after work. There were some migrating geese (since it’s the Atlantic Flyway) and some that stayed year-round. Biking near the geese was dangerous.
At one point the company president moved his office to our building, and had enough trouble with geese that he told people to Do Something. They put a bunch of styrofoam swans in the front drainage pond (swans and geese don’t get along), which worked for a little while until the geese discovered they were fake, and when the pond froze in the winter the geese would kick their heads off and nest on them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.