Epic chains ad explains benefits of chains

After all that, I still don’t know why anchor chain links have that extra bar in the middle. I’m guessing it’s an anti-tangle feature. Anybody know? Know what it’s called?

1 Like
2 Likes

If i was to guess i’d say it’s to add support for forces bending the chain whenever it’s spooled up.

I believe it’s called cable chain and the crossbar adds a great deal of strength in tension. Anchor chain loads are tension loads, so you can stow more strength in the same size chain locker.

EDit: Hmmm, Britannica says it’s called stud link chain and that the studs (crossbars) are to add weight, resist deformation (therefore adding strength in tension as I mentioned above) and reduce fouling (presumably because there’s less space between the links to gather up seaweed and mermaid scales) and kinking.

3 Likes

I generally enjoy factory videos like this but the robot voice is too hard to listen to. I wish they’d spent a few bucks more and hired a voice actor, can’t be that expensive for a 7 minute vid.

Although, if they blew the budget and hired John Cleese, they’d probably have a viral hit going.

4 Likes

“Fouling” in this instance means getting caught on something so it hangs up and can’t be raised or lowered properly.

3 Likes

what is with that voice over??? I wanted marine anchor chains not chans.

3 Likes

I didn’t know Yondu the Ravager was in an 80s band.

4 Likes

However it was done, it’s still the weirdest accent I think I’ve ever heard. What was especially confusing was that it was so difficult to understand and yet such a soothing timbre…?

To be perfectly frank, I’m still somewhat on the fence. The thing that has me leaning toward the TTS end of things is the way it odd way it pronounced articles. The pronunciation is so reliably short, it feels very algorithmic to me. It is legitimately hard to say either way.

1 Like

The stud of stud link chain serves two purposes.
One is to limit streach at moderate loads. As non-stud chain stretches the links elongate by getting narrower, the two straight runs moving toward each other. With the stud present, the two sides can’t approach each other, giving the chain a stiffer action.
The other purpose is to keep the two adjacent links of a link from bearing on each other. In standard chain, with a bit of corrosion and slightly wrong clearances, the two adjacent links can bind against each other and lock up. With the links jammed, the chain won’t fit the equipment it is designed for–winches, capstans, rollers, deck openings. Another possibility is deformation of the link they are wedged inside of. The stud creates two separate round openings for the adjacent links, assuring free running.

2 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/i/182490704856

3 Likes

At least we know where the Peanuts universe adults are all from.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s on Awesome Mix Vol 3.

1 Like

That chain is not stud link. There are several on ebay that are, listed as jewelry, all with proportions a bit off to my eye. Better stuff to be found at Seawear.com.

4 Likes

You are why I come here. You. Thank You.

1 Like

If you told me they did TTS and then a guy repeated it phonetically I would believe you. The pronunciation jank is strong enough, but I don’t believe a computer created those sounds.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.