Ethereal mermaid lagoon scene from 1924 live action silent film adaptation of Peter Pan

Originally published at: Ethereal mermaid lagoon scene from 1924 live action silent film adaptation of Peter Pan | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Oddly enough, I rather suspect the original film was not shot in ‘vertical video’ aspect ratio.

Grrrrrrrrr.

4 Likes

Mkiwk7x7z15NI_s828K3Mo26pb8=

2 Likes
1 Like

Here’s the full length film, it should be cued up at the mermaid scene.

If not it’s at the 1:09:10 mark.

15 Likes

That is a rather fabulous Hook. The whole thing gives a good sense of what the children’s “pantomine” stage shows might have been like in early 20th c. England.

5 Likes

Their swimming style seems woefully inefficient. They have those large, muscular tails yet they’re just flapping with their arms.

I suspect these are not in fact real mermaids.

4 Likes

i remember seeing the mermaids at Aquarena Springs! i was a wee tot then. they also had a swimming pig that was a fan fave. circa 1970(?)

these days it is the mermaids at Weeki Watchee. they have been a show since 1940s(?)

3 Likes

So probably more closely related to sea lions than true seals as far as aquatic mammals go.

1 Like

IIsn’t it traditional to confuse manatees, dugongs and other sea cows for mermaids?

you can see manatee and mermaids at Weeki Watchee!
come down and compare for youself!
(TBH, the manatee are cuter!)

1 Like

Depends on how many Mai Tais the viewer has had.

1 Like

I did not remember the part where the lost boys were all hardened American patriots. I knew that Neverland had some very new world vibes; but the lost boys less so.

Different actor’s union.

2 Likes

Yeah, comparing the dialogue to the original script this movie was surprisingly faithful to the souce, except for that part. Here’s the original scene:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.