Ethics of Poop

This!!!

4 Likes

Perhaps ideas about human waste disposal could be applied to animal waste disposal as well. Here is a really novel and enterprising solution for human waste disposal:

What if neighborhoods had similar units for animal waste disposal? Instead of dropping pet poop into your neighborā€™s trash one could drop it into a system that would make something useful from the poop. Ethical no?

1 Like

The extent of the truth of the ā€œand alsoā€ part is the locus of disagreement. It is not self-evident.

1 Like

Iā€™m not quite sure what you mean here, having read it from a few angles. So please excuse me if I get you wrong.

The ā€˜narrow exceptionā€™, the criteria, isnā€™t an exception. It is the argument. A number of people have suggested they only follow this criteria and, if they only follow this criteria, then why would anyone care?

A many number of times people have also suggested they would not go outside of this criteria, as they would consider this a wrong thing to do.

If you wish to widen the criteria to things that people have already said, many times, they would never do and consider wrong, then there is no argument to be had, as they will just agree with you.

I donā€™t feel Iā€™m making a narrow exception at all, Iā€™m restating what a number of people have mentioned would be the conditions under which they feel it is fair game.

As for ā€˜insisting the existence of the exception is somehow winning the entire argument.ā€™, I cannot see why you would come to that conclusion as it bears no relationship to anything I have written.

You asked ā€˜d_rā€™: ā€˜Would you want your own dogā€™s poop sitting inside your home in a bin for a week?ā€™

Unlike some other people on here Iā€™m not going to pretend I somehow speak on behalf of others, but I can answer this question from my perspective: No, absolutely not. That does not meet the criteria of ā€˜dropping in a bin that is out on the street and about to be collectedā€™, something I think you have said you are actually okay with.

Iā€™ve already said I donā€™t do it anyway, but if I did then: anything outside of that criteria I totally agree with you, I feel is wrong i would neither do or condone anyone else doing it.

2 Likes

I think I disagree a little with this, but bear with me.

From the way you have presented your anecdotes it suggests you are either not fond or ambivalent about dogs, erring on the ā€˜donā€™t like them muchā€™. Is that fair?

Is it still a problem if the icky, smelly mess actually comes from another source. Small children (diapers) is the obvious example and probably some others, mind has gone blank. As in, from some source you donā€™t actually mind too much, but still produces something that is only fit forā€¦ well, the bin.

Why I disagree:

It feels more like a property issue to me, invasion of property, rather than specific to dog poo.

I do actually own my bin, as in I paid for it. However, I consider my bin in the same way I consider the ā€˜Uā€™ bend from my toilet.

It briefly contains smelly matter that I have finished with, on itā€™s way to being completely removed from my life. I have no problem with others using my toilet and thus my ā€˜Uā€™ bend. I would get upset if they went on the floor or smeared it over the walls, but they all, without exception, use the toilet, and thus U-bend, in the correct manner.

I do not inspect the U-bend or otherwise interact with it, it just does the job expected. I do not take time to clean it, there would be little point as more of that poo stuff will be on its way.

Very occasionally it will get blocked, generally by someone else. This is annoying, smelly and time consuming to sort out. However, I remain grounded by remembering that it is just a U-bend trying to do its job and on the list of things that could annoy me, this doesnā€™t make an appearance.

After all, who gives a shit?

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s totally what I was doing with that question.

So you werenā€™t seeking a place to complain (bitch) about the free ice cream (rules not to your liking)? Okay. Totally read that way to me. But I am just one guy, with human faculties and failings. Set me straight, what -were- you doing with that question!

But youā€™ve admitted several times you were aware this is an issue with people, so at some point you either realized or were told, ā€œhey, people donā€™t appreciate that behavior.ā€

The ā€œand alsoā€ part of being a responsible pet owner is blatantly obviousā€“and evidentā€“to people who are responsible pet owners, to the bin owners, and to anyone who understands basic social principles such as ā€œleave no traceā€ and ā€œbe a respectful neighbor.ā€ They donā€™t appreciate pet owners who ignore these basic social contracts, which is why you will find yourself on the receiving end of anger from people who expect you to be the responsible pet owner you keep claiming you are.

1 Like

No, this thread is the first Iā€™ve ever heard of it.

In any event, excellent example of ipse dixit, bordering on argumentum ad lapidem.

1 Like

Itā€™s the social rules laid out where I lived before Texas (I donā€™t know the cultural rules here but there are so many people moving here from everywhere that itā€™s a crapshoot), so lord only knows where the cultural divides are. Even in Texas I am not aware of anyone doing it in my neighborhood, but there are also public trash cans and a nearby dog park or I was living in an apartment where trash had to be carried out to the dumpsters anyways. I will say my apartments in Texas would levy heavy fines up to forcing you to move out or get rid of your pet if your pet pooped everywhere, and my apartments in Michigan didnā€™t allow pets at all.

But outside Charlotte, small town in northern Ohio, and suburb of Detroit universally had the rule of carrying a bag with however much poop your animal let out and disposing of it at your house.

1 Like

OK, as this thread is getting tedious, I make the following offer. I will donate $25 to the charity of their choice for the first person who provides a link to a law or ordinance that forbids using someone elseā€™s bin for throwing away dog poop.
Since it is a unilateral offer and my money, here are the ground rules:

1. The link has to be to an official website of some city, county, state, etc government.
  2. It must be in the USA.
  3. Neighborhood boards count if they have the ability to legislate. If they just pass a no-teeth resolution, then at my discretion (depening on how convincing and broad it is, it would need to support the idea of a clear ā€œsocial rule laid outā€ in @emo_pinataā€™s language) I will declare the challenge ā€œpartially metā€ and just donate $15.
  4. The law canā€™t be a generic ā€œuse your own binā€ type law, it must specify dog waste.
  5. It canā€™t be about putting the waste in the wrong type of bin, eg no poop in the recycling bin. I agreed above that that is bad behavior.
  6. The charity canā€™t be related to a political party, a religious organization, a pro-life organization, PETA, or anything likely to get me arrested or on a strange mailing list.

Deadline is 48 hours from now, noon Hawaii Standard Time on Saturday June 24.

2 Likes

Youā€™re being too reasonable. The bin is on the way out, itā€™s contents are being taken away. Excellent, great! Everybody can relax and get on with it.

ā€œIt is unlawful for any person in control of, causing or permitting any dog to be on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by such person to fail to remove feces left by such dog to a proper receptacle located on property owned or possessed by such person.ā€

https://library.municode.com/mn/st._paul/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIILECO_TITXXAN_CH200AN_S200.09CLUPLI

I deleted my earlier reply to you, because I donā€™t think this is worth arguing about, but you are wrong, I do like dogs, and I would not excuse dirty diapers any more than dog feces, but I encounter the latter far more often.

Hereā€™s the source article, which was a pretty interesting read.

It includes a short documentary about this very issue, which is kind of fun:

This honestly isnā€™t a serious issue for me, I only weighed in to offer another point of view. Please know that I harbor no animosity towards dogs and their owners, my observations above were only meant offer context. I think conflating peopleā€™s dislike for dog feces with dislike for dogs and dog owners is unfortunate.

Dogs are cute and fun. Dog poop is not. I think we can all agree on that.

3 Likes

3 Likes

That works. Name your charity.

2 Likes

I only came in to say itā€™s not a bizarro thing to say you donā€™t think people should be dumping their dogā€™s poop in your trash receptacle and in the areas I lived it was a social faux pas to not carry a shopping bag full of your dogs poop while out an about. I donā€™t doubt that many areas of the country wouldnā€™t consider it a big deal, but we are a pretty broad culture over a very large geography. I have always lived in conservative areas and/or in apartments, and people have tended to have very strong opinions about their property.

Iā€™m not even taking a stance on who is right or wrong, just that the opinion does exist across a fairly broad breadth of personal experience. Iā€™m not going to police my trash bin, and I already have to wash it semi regularly because the bugs down here.

Itā€™s really not necessary. Iā€™d really rather that we could all agree to get along and respect eachotherā€™s point of view. :sweat:

But if you really wanted to, a dog related charity of your choice seems most appropriate.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œMagdalene, post:123, topic:103153ā€]
Itā€™s really not necessary.[/quote]
It is for me! You OK with these guys?

Iā€™d really rather that we could all agree to get along and respect each otherā€™s point of view.

Well, me too, but Iā€™m not sure what that means in a binary situation like this.

In my case I was curious where people were getting their ā€œeveryone agreesā€ assertions, and thought I would try to incentivize at least a partial answer. While I think this thread is prima facie evidence that not everyone agrees with either side and that nothing is ā€œself-evident,ā€ at least you and @zfirphdn have provided evidence that this has been discussed enough in real life to be codified in some places.

(Funnily enough, I used to live in Minnesota, and as far as I could tell we were the only people in our neighborhood who picked up after our dog at all.)

That looks like a great charity!

Seems to me that everyone should and will just carry on as usual. If someone asks you to stop using their trash, or posts a sign, it would probably be neighborly to comply.

The stickers that Missypants and the linked article seemed like a good solution, opt in for bin sharing.

It means put your dogā€™s poop in your bin. If you want to put it in someone elseā€™s bin, ask his or her permission. Sheesh!