Europe just voted to wreck the internet, spying on everything and censoring vast swathes of our communications

At what point in the protocol is this surveillance/censorship supposed to take place? Will a VPN protect you from it?

2 Likes

Nope. The censorship will take place serverside. If you run a server you will be obliged to implement( buy, probably) the filtering step.

Which means all hobbyist forums are dead, and facebook and the likes have utterly won, since it’s impossible for a hobbyist to implement this.

1 Like

Maybe some sort of encryption could work, where content will only be made identifiable by a key on the publishing platform’s end.

Pietà l’è morta (Mercy has died) is a lesser-known antifascist song, but I think the title and the overall sense of the song is better suited.

1 Like

Why pepole have to play “Bella ciao” like a slow sad song? It’s an one-step polka in A minor (o G minor) for a reason.

1 Like

This has been my favorite version of that song for as long as I can remember:

2 Likes

Dear all, I’m reading the adopted amendments related to filtering and it seems this was removed and replaced by mandatory licensing for big content sharing platforms. Wonder if I’m reading this wrong in some way: https://juliareda.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Copyright_Sept12_Voss.pdf Also there’s a call for manual human resolution of disputes for unnecessary content removal. Could anybody clarify?

3 Likes

For all the people that suggest uploading their own phrases to the copyrighted material database all uploads will be checked against. That sounds like a nice way to go about it, question is, how do you get your data in there? I don’t think this will be open to the public…

2 Likes

This is nonsense.

So not only do they want to filter content but platforms will act as a judge, jury and executioner?

1 Like

Yes, there are probably technological tricks to evade detection. But that doesn’t change the fact that this law makes doing so illegal.

1 Like

I suspect that freenet is the closest thing to what you suggest if you want users generally to be able to access the file. It exists; but currently makes TOR look fast and intuitive.

If you only want specific people to access something; much more conventional infrastructure can be used to host files that you encryot before putting them there; but then only the ones with the decryption keys can make use of them.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see what they plan to do(and what they actually end up doing) about entities that don’t play by their rules but also have no EU operations to go after.

With multinationals that have no realistic prospect of just cutting off the EU and calling it a day(anyone who is trying to play ball with China because they crave those sweet, sweet, emerging markets is pretty much certainly in this category; as are some that have less challenging international aspirations; plus all the American companies that mysteriously do all their actually profitable work inside a post office box in Ireland); attempting to dictate behavior worldwide (eg. ‘right to be forgotten’ not just being a flag that marks the relevant data as available outside the EU) don’t require claiming universal jurisdiction or setting up an elaborate filtering apparatus, just proceeding against a company’s local operations unless they comply.

If I start up fuzzyfungusforums, though, as a basic shoestring VPS hobby thing; I have no personal ties or corporate operations or subsidiaries in the EU; so what’s the plan?

Just ignore those cases because they would tend to be small? Order EU ISPs to play whack-a-mole? License “Golden Shield” so that the Digital Single Market becomes a China-style authoritarian quasi-intranet/quasi-internet? Attempt to ‘harmonize’ via some hideous WIPO instrument?

2 Likes

Apple mostly moved out to Jersey (the island). No need for a dubious oil platform nation-state when you’re that rich.

2 Likes

Something like freenet, combined with a federated server model, like mastodon or peer tube, could be promising. Of course, we would have to actually use them.

3 Likes

Comic-con-gate! :wink:

Oh well, it’s been an entertaining twenty years (or so), but now the forces of evil are swiftly making inroads on the internet (and the freedoms it represented). Whatever remains after the latest onslaught of reactionary conservativism, I suspect the heart has, to a great extent, gone out of it. Perhaps I’m being a bit too Eeyore-ish, but I find myself deeply depressed by the whole nasty lot of them and their doings. A pox on the lot of them.

8 Likes

I wonder how many people will be employed to do the checking and who will end up playing for them. I’m guessing, “Not many”, and “Not the corporations”.

Nothing easier than that:

1 Like
2 Likes

So, you’re in favor of lobbyists who lobby for the things you support. That’s a pretty widely held position, i imagine.