Europe's largest nuclear power plant shut down after “technical fault”

Well, calling one reactor shutdown, when there are five more (four of them still running) a “nuclear power plant shut down” sounds similar to me as talking about “mall is closed” while the only thing closed is a food court on the second floor.

Also, by the time the article was released here, the information about the transformer was already known. See my extract of the available data early in the thread. Hence no excuse for the quotes.

It was actively misleading - until I got the details, I was wondering what sort of a major disaster could shut down an entire multi-reactor complex and what is the big cheese downplaying.

2 Likes

…Is this really the best you’ve got? “Power plant” doesn’t mean “power plant” and “shut down” doesn’t mean “shut down,” therefore my argument is invalid?

If you saw a story about a celebrity losing an arm with the headline “CELEBRITY DEAD” you would nod and say “Yes, their arm is certainly dead, that is a reasonable way of putting it”?

Seriously, man, I understand that you came into this with good intentions, but sometimes it’s just time to let go.

A-ha! You’re the stink bomb guy.
Bet you were a hoot in hight school.

1 Like

When a major part of the plant is turned off, that’s a thing. I think you are reading in too much of your own reactor meltdown fantasies into your reaction against any mention of a problem at a reactor site. Xeni is literally a wrecker of the industrial state. Or not. She’s literally not. Depending on your current outrage.

One sixth of the plant is not the entire plant. Claiming so in the title is dishonest and sensationalist.

The reactor is a lousy 1-gigawatt one. There are many like that one, all over the world. Its size is nothing exceptional. The “Europe’s largest” is only because there are six of them.

A temporary shutdown of one of the blocks is a fairly common thing. Failures on the energy production chain are nothing uncommon; transformers, generators and their support systems, turbines, steam circuits and heat exchangers, anything can fail. Sometimes the failure is sudden. Sometimes it is gradual and predictable and allows scheduled maintenance shutdown. This happens in any kind of a plant.

And in vast majority of the cases it is nothing sensational.

frankly that is another inflammatory and masturbatory mischaracterization of my position.

This is my position:

1. It’s what they do.
  2. Not gettin’ over that is what you do.
  3. They’re interesting.
  4. Are you?

You can be interesting, and MORE interesting when we’re at it, without wild inaccuracies in both the text and the headlines.

IKR!?! it’s like, hyperbole, or something!?

Like that time when @BrickGun claimed Beeschizza “outed” someone when in fact the post didn’t identify the letter writer.

See the quote marks in the paragraph directly above this one? Those aren’t scare quotes.

I guess I was using the term “outed” a bit too loosely for you, sorry. (no snark there, honestly)

He did, in fact, post the letter and his comments about it openly here when it all would have just as easily been served by keeping it private. What point did posting it for public comment serve other than to belittle the “whiner”? Whether or not we know his/her identity, the writer of the letter knows and surely understood the message being sent by airing it publicly with a bit of ridicule. That is a bit of “outing” in my book. Perhaps I should have used “shaming”… yeah, that’s more accurate. :slight_smile:

As I said, I love Rob… you can find many posts… mainly on the old system where I have a standing offer to buy him many beers of his choice anytime he ends up in ATX. But I thought he was just being petty in this instance… which, in my limited experience, is rather unlike him.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.