Evangelical Christians love Donald Trump

I do think that’s slightly different.

Your greater point is spot on though. :smile:

1 Like

As far as I know, the Bible never actually uses the word “Sodomite”, and the (debatable) references to homosexuality don’t refer to the city. However, there are a number of times when people are accused of being like Sodom (or just plain addressed as Sodom), and these are generally referring to false religion and lack of concern for strangers and destitute people. The (possibly apocryphal) book of Jasher makes it clear that the lack of hospitality and perversion of justice were horrifying enough to warrant judgement, and it wasn’t just the hot quarterly orgies that made God mad (verses 11-15).

4 Likes

That’s part of it, for sure. But there is also I think the “rebel effect”… that some people will latch onto candidates who tout themselves as against the status quo, who will shake the moribund culture in DC up. They see him as an outsider, who won’t be subjugated by the norms of society… We’ve become in the words of Elizabeth Grace hale, “A Nation of Outsiders”… that might also contribute to his popularity among some evangelicals who see themselves as standing up to the amoral secularisms of modernity…

1 Like

People forget that Carter is an evangelical…

5 Likes

No, actually, @jsroberts has it right: Sodom was not condemned because of homosexuality at all, but because Sodomites (people from Sodom) as a group were not generous and welcoming to strangers, as the custom (and their God’s law) required.

I am so stealing that: whenever the situation allows from now on, I’m going to call any self-titled Christian who goes on about illegal immigration or “I’m not a racist but…” a Sodomite and watch them freak out.

11 Likes

If and when you deploy this, please take and post pictures of their faces.

5 Likes

It would be amusing, huh? :wink:

4 Likes

You guys got me. :smile:

3 Likes

Yup. Dr Bob’s Double-Highs, right there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.