Evangelicals are "brutal" about Mike Pence's candidacy, says Republican journalist (video)

The Pence campaign makes sense if you trust Trump to disembowel Ron DeSantis and then either die or get himself convicted of something prior to the election.

Pence is the spare tire and he knows it.

7 Likes

Not even in Indiana. Going on the ticket with Trump saved him from losing badly after only one term as Governor. We could have had a Democratic governor, had he run again. That’s how much Hoosiers couldn’t stand him.

ETA: Here ya go, @SpunkyTWS

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LIMESODA Interactive Marketing GmbH

9 Likes

I can’t believe that Pence is delusional enough to believe he has the remotest chance of winning the primary, much less win an election. His political career is completely done - even in his home state, he’s a non-viable candidate. After the last election, when Pence started speaking publicly and releasing his latest book, it was suggested this was part of a strategy to essentially retire from politics and position himself to get a job in some conservative organization. That made sense - but what doesn’t make sense is running for president. I don’t see how spending the money to come in fifth place in the Republican primary is going to advance that goal.

And even more than that - that Trump turns out to have been carrying Pence as far as white evangelicals are concerned shows how even the qualities that were seen as liabilities for Trump are actually advantages. The crudity, racism and p*ssy-grabbing (etc.) actually resonates with them, even beyond support for Trump’s policies punishing the people they don’t like. The cruelty is the point, but having it enacted by an uncouth, impious asshole is apparently a big bonus.

I even wonder if part of Trump’s appeal is that he’s providing a sort of new model of acceptability, allowing evangelicals to think, “Ah, we no longer have to pretend to care about people or propriety - we can distill ‘Christianity’ down into just being hateful assholes!” Certainly I’ve seen a lot of examples of that coming from evangelical churches, post-Trump…

9 Likes

Trump going to prison will not stop Trump voters

5 Likes

Yes but, he refused to get in the secret service’s car.

2 Likes

Trump going to prison will not stop Trump voters

Quite agree, but in a full meltdown scenario I don’t think he’d be able to whip the party machinery which might get creative around convention time. That’d of course be a drag out fight, so they’d need someone with, uh, unimpeachable credentials and zero instinct for self preservation to get the nod as a the “no one gets what they want” compromise candidate. Pence is perfect.

3 Likes

I mean, far as I’m concerned, Evangelicalism is a sideshow grift in the first place.

4 Likes

They want this guy:

4 Likes

Pence is so universally hated that nobody can even be bothered to put in the effort to actively hate him.

2 Likes

Last week’s “The Next Level” podcast (from The Bulwark) - with Sarah Longwell, btw, went all out on Mike Pence, wondering wtf he’s thinking. It was pretty funny (but it usually pretty funny at times in every episode). :grinning:

I could be mistaken and it could be this week’s episode though. I’d have to check. So much has happened in the last week that it’s hard to keep track sometimes.

It’s all happpennnning

1 Like

No, it’s really not. To MAGAts, “putting America first” is a disqualifying position. Il Douche before all is the rallying cry. If he doesn’t carry the MAGAt wing, I doubt he can carry the primaries, especially with a raft of not-Trumps divvying up that small segment of the voters.

5 Likes

As far as they’re concerned, Trump is America.

4 Likes

Such a weird belief system, wanting a fire and brimstone leader, without the realization that that’s how you get hell on earth.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Agree with you. Post was a bit inside baseball: Thiessen is a craven GOP operator, and seeing him push his chips in on someone his voters (and everyone else) actively despise is just kind of heartwarming. GOP in the ‘find out’ phase.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.