Evangelicals are "brutal" about Mike Pence's candidacy, says Republican journalist (video)

Originally published at: Evangelicals are "brutal" about Mike Pence's candidacy, says Republican journalist (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Funny given that the only reason Trump picked him as a running mate in the first place was because Trump’s strategists thought the thrice-married serial philanderer who never goes to church and openly mocks people of faith needed some credibility with the Evangelical voters.

Turns out Trump needn’t have bothered since it turns out Evangelical Christian voters didn’t actually give a shit about being a good Christian as long as their candidate professes enough hatred toward people they don’t like.

44 Likes

Has anyone anywhere ever (outside of Indiana) had an “appetite” for MP?

9 Likes

He’s obviously put it out of his mind, but some of the would-be revolutionaries on January 6 seemed pretty eager to find him!

9 Likes

I find this so depressing, just a reminder that the traits needed to get elected don’t have much to do with whether they would do a good job. I long to vote for the most boring-ass uncharismatic dork imaginable. Policy and character should be the things that matters.

13 Likes

He wasn’t too popular in Indiana. He was pretty much run out of office for corruption

11 Likes

Mike Pence is the most milktoasty of milktoast politicians. He is unwilling to take a stand on anything even the things he takes a stand on. For a man of conviction he doesn’t show any evidence of it.

9 Likes

We should all be hoping (or praying, depending on your belief system) for boring. Sheesh, have we learned nothing from the past ten years???

8 Likes

The only thing really separating Pence from today’s mainstream Republican party is that he isn’t frothing at the mouth. I wouldn’t make the mistake of him being milquetoast though, at least not in a political sense. He seems fully onboard with banning abortions, criminalizing LGBTQ+ people, fighting against fighting climate change and ending any policy that would result in a redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor. But if you’re a fascist, you go with the guy that is all those things AND frothing at the mouth. Your front seat to watching the world burn will be more entertaining that way.

16 Likes
16 Likes

This version of the Republican Party is so brutal they would just about hang Mike Pence.

16 Likes

My thought exactly.

Trump has given the evangelicals a taste of the adrenaline they get when they hear someone say all the hateful stuff out loud and with a snarl. They are now addicted to that feeling, and someone with identical policies and views will be ignored if they don’t deliver a big helping of fascist mouth froth.

To put it another way, he has shoved the Overton window of political behavior as far from Mike Pence as one can.

9 Likes

Mike Pence is the “diet water” of politicians.

8 Likes

More evidence that it was never about religious devotion in a candidate for the Xtianists. The death cultists care only about power, money, and punishing anyone not like them.

9 Likes

In 2016 I distinctly remember Pence being talked about as a VP pick because then Republicans could safely pick an alternative for Indiana governor because he was almost certain to lose it.

His evangelicalism didn’t matter. Evangelicals weren’t going to stay home and risk Hillary Clinton becoming president because in their minds she’d be worse than anybody the Republicans picked.

11 Likes

… once upon a time it somehow nominated Gerald Ford, Bob Dole, and Mitt Romney :thinking:

6 Likes

9 Likes

Well, maybe if you used the right batter, and a nice aioli sauce. :thinking:

4 Likes

And a nice Chianti!

But honestly, this isn’t brutal, this is bored. They have been trained to respond to rage, insults and outrage. Pence is just a boring fascist. They need a raging fascist. But they are all fascists.

18 Likes

Man, the flies like it too much for my taste.

“Pence is just a boring fascist. They need a raging fascist.” Exactly, and why evangelists realize that their MP is only a mumbling place holder while the raging right got another kid (and his friends) they could shake down for lunch money.

5 Likes