Evangelicals rail against Barbie, demand Americans not take children to see film

Those are all valid points, and I’m going to do better.

Still, removing my own use of the term is likely to be about as effective in turning the tide as my lone voice as a Sugihara fanboi. “Japanese Schindler” my ass! Schindler was a hack! Sugihara was the righteous OG!

7 Likes

I couldn’t possibly care less about Barbie but this is making even me kind of want to go see it.

But no matter how much positive attention these bigots bring to progressive media with their moronic babbling (assuming it even is progressive- it’s just as likely they’re hallucinating demonic influence onto any and all non-Bible objects that happen to cross their field of vision), they’re still going to be there, ready and waiting to rave and rant about the next thing. How modern does the world need to get to finally drive these backwards know-nothing dinosaurs to extinction? The Middle Ages were an awfully long time ago now, can we please just fucking move on already?

8 Likes

i get very down sometimes, but then a person i know recently told me part of his life story about how when he was a kid it seemed impossible for him - or anyone - to be out; and now, he’s out, and married to his partner. and his nephew recently started a lgbtqia club at middle school. that’s massive for him

so things can change, and they have. it just takes people changing. we are the traffic, so to speak. and every bit we do - even if it isn’t as big a deal that guy’s story - is really the whole thing i think

and this also is a very cool story.

thanks for pointing me towards something i didn’t know before.

( i’m imagining a film entirely in color except for one black and white coat… :wink: )

19 Likes

I have never wanted to see a Barbie movie MORE than I do right now. Thanks religious evangelical asswipes, you’re doing the lord’s work out there.

13 Likes
8 Likes

We’ve had the Taliban debunking, then Middle Ages, now we just need someone to pipe in using the term “Neanderthal” in an ignorant fashion?

6 Likes

Not that I’m averse to a little derail-go-round as such, but let me preempt this one for you:

6 Likes

Birmingham sounds prepared.

3 Likes

“I am become Barbie, destroyer of worlds.”

Obligatory.

8 Likes

Draft Dodger Ken?

3 Likes

Our daughter was born in 1985, most of the kid movies we took her to see had plenty of inside jokes or material for the parents that would go right over the head of a seven year old. I suspect there’s some of that going on with this movie. Kids see pink an fun they don’t see satanic messages and if the religious people would quit seeing stuff in thier Cheetos kids wouldn’t know about.

I never played a record backwards until Congress told me to check it out.

But… I was curious about the movie so I googled it.

How much do you have to pay Google to get the result pages pink and sparkly pink star animation across the screen?

7 Likes

It really is quite a masterful display of being cool, and at the same time the most shameless corporate shilling ever.

I suspect I will get sick of it eventually, but Gerwig has a lot of goodwill built up with me.

9 Likes

Now that evangelicals hate it, I will HAVE to see it! The reviews are in!

5 Likes

I specifically avoided using the term “Dark Ages” to avoid getting "well actually"ed by history enthusiasts and here it is happening anyway. So what’s the issue? The only one of these myths that seems to be relevant is the last one, and:

While many people in the Middle Ages were pious and even extremely devout, we can find that church officials were often complaining that many other people were indifferent to following religious practices.

These assholes are the uptight church officials. Who we are still having to deal with, hundreds of years later. Kind of proves my point.

3 Likes

You misspelled “thousands”. Always has been.

3 Likes

414f33fc59c18f734d1c5cdc6204bd59

20 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

Ha, yeah, if they don’t cast minorities in the main roles, turns out the angry man-babies actually pay attention to the message, so that’s kind of cool?
SMDH.

6 Likes

He can’t support the patriarchy if he doesn’t have a penis, can he?

2 Likes
7 Likes