Evangelicals rail against Barbie, demand Americans not take children to see film

Two words:

Buck Angel.

4 Likes

Some are actual professionals in the field.

8 Likes

Isn’t that the main character from the movie, Brazil?

5 Likes

My favourite English place name is Tutt’s Clump.

3 Likes

We may need a “Band Names” companion Topic, “Likely English Placenames.”

4 Likes

Well, that was more prescient than I knew!

Listening to the 20-somethings discussing it afterward, I kept my mouth shut until one of them said “I think my mom would have had a different reaction to the feminism than I did” at which point I agreed and pointed out that the movie was made to tell a slightly different story to different generations simultaneously.

Not a perfect movie, but so glad I saw it, especially with them.

(And now to read the following 50 new posts. I can’t imagine I said anything that others would have already well-covered, though.)

7 Likes

That part is 100% true and should be in more grade school history books. But he wasn’t the only one, nor technically the first. So many did what they could, often at the expense of their own lives.

5 Likes

I’ve got some bad news for you…

3 Likes

You jest, but I can assure everyone that going in a multi-generational group to a double feature of first Oppenheimer followed by a meal break followed by Barbie (and another debriefing time afterward) is worth the commitment!

6 Likes

5 Likes

It is kind of them to say they think, tho.

If it’s good enough for our beloved Big Gretch, it’s good enough for me!

I was at my local cineplex to catch a Thursday 9 pm showing of Oppenheimer, and judging my the number of patrons (of all ages) in the lobby that were wearing pink tells me that these demonic warnings are all for naught. (Barbie was showing on at least four, maybe five screens that I could count).

5 Likes

Thank God for the Barbie movie, because Oppenheimer was a huge bomb.

5 Likes

You’re gonna pray for me?!?!
Keep my name out of yer god damn mouth!!! SLAP

2 Likes

Now they’ll be upset!

3 Likes

I saw the movie last night. It’s really good. It does a good job balancing Barbie fan service with legitimate criticisms of Barbie. Most of all, it’s just a lot of fun. It’s a fun movie. Ryan Gosling was great, and Margot Robbie was a perfect “stereotypical Barbie”.

8 Likes

I bet that in every country in the world, radical groups and inexpressive politicians looking for popularity must be campaigning for people to boycott this movie. I was even going to put a link to an article about a member of a State’s representative body who, apparently, did not see the film but was horrified to learn that one of the actresses in the cast is a trans person and is urging to keep children of of theatres. I gave up putting a link to this article because it seemed like a desperate attempt to maintain relevance after the defeat of her political faction in the last presidential election.

Is this what they call Culture War?

5 Likes

What’s really silly about that is that it’s explicitly stated in the film that none of the Barbies or Kens have any genitals. In other words, she’s not even a trans Barbie. She’s just an actress playing a Barbie, and the actress just happens to be trans. There’s no sly or hidden reference to her being trans at all. The character is literally just one of the Barbies. Well…she’s Doctor Barbie, to be specific.

12 Likes