Everything Everywhere All At Once just swept the Oscars

Damn it, who’s cutting onions in here?

Those acceptance speeches hit me so hard. Love that film, love that cast.

8 Likes

Thinking of my experience first seeing it in a large, sold-out classic theater (a 90+ y.o. venue with ~350 seats), I think that watching at home would not have been as enjoyable. Definitely more energy where everyone was similarly engaged with the film. I don’t think I’d ever attended a film where everyone was so similarly locked-in with their reactions - especially happy laughter.

6 Likes

I never got to see it in the theater, I can imagine it was a great experience. (I haven’t seen anything in the theater for the last couple years.) But even watching from my couch at home was fantastic.

3 Likes

No place to put it, since its Oscars related…

“Cocaine Bear, leave Malala alone!”

5 Likes

In retrospect I’ll bet that A24 could have made a lot more money for charity if they’d just waited until after the Oscars to hold this auction of their props:

A rock with googly eyes went for over $13k, but the laundry delivery RV went for just $11k? Given the crazy high prices for used RVs these days that was quite the bargain.

6 Likes

Wow, did a fun movie just win? It’s been ages since a fun movie won. I mean… there are a billion other reasons why it’s great and deals with serious issues better than a lot of ‘serious movies.’ But something that really leaned into being a joyful experience won which feels great. Usually - like Playtime - it takes movies that relish in the fact of their being a movie years to get credit. Anyways… I’m glad for this and everyone who worked on it. Well deserved win.

6 Likes

Have you seen Parasite? It’s both a lot of fun and a movie that relishes being a movie.

5 Likes

Not just “fun;” a positive movie featuring POC with an excellent message within the compelling narrative won, for once.

12 Likes

Most definitely. There are lots of great things about it. I still stand my position though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, then.

2 Likes

You’re right, but it’s a very different kind of fun to me. I’m also not going to debate this topic. I’m glad something that was a joy to watch won and would rather celebrate that and everything else that was groundbreaking than bicker. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some people hate it. Some people think it’s OK, or reasonably good, or even very good. And some people love it. Just like any other movie.

6 Likes

I was completely expecting it would go zero-for-seven. I might compare it to Cloud Atlas and Synecdoche, New York, neither of which even got nominated. Brazil also comes to mind; apparently that at least got two nominations. (Also Kung Fu Hustle and The Matrix, but those are very different movies.)

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this film yet but their acceptance speech had me smiling from ear to ear.

5 Likes

That’s a tough one - they were both so good. I loved seeing Hsu’s enthusiasm.
I think my favorite part of the night was when Quan gave Harrison Ford a hug and a kiss on the cheek. He looked so happy.
FWIW, Hsu is really good in Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - she started in season 3.

4 Likes

Oscars related…

They messed up the In Memoriam section even worse than usual (the full list of non-remembered actors is quite long, but forgetting about the lead actress in a movie up for Best Picture seems to be quite the fail):

13 Likes

ooof. I hope they at least got Angela Lansbury in there.

Triangle of Sadness is such a weird one as it is. Up for best picture from a director I love (their previous two movies were great), but I was left feeling almost nothing towards or about it.

Jeff Bridges Opinion GIF

10 Likes

Honestly I understand. I can’t deal with horror and depressing dramas about addiction and death right now either. Its nice to see lassie come home once in a while too. This movie made me laugh and happy cry.

4 Likes

Lest we forget, Goodfellas lost to Dances With Wolves. Now, I’m not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I feel like that has to be some kind of crime.

For me this year’s crime was giving best animated short to “The boy, the mole, the fox, and the horse”, which may well have been the worst 1/2 hour I have ever spent in a movie theater. See the absolutely delightful “My Year of Dicks” (on Vimeo) instead. Or any of the others.

3 Likes