Everything Everywhere All At Once just swept the Oscars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/03/13/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-just-swept-the-oscars.html

15 Likes

Serious Michelle Yeoh GIF by Golden Globes

24 Likes

We borrowed this blueray from the library and after watching it the family was glad we didn’t pay $15 each at a theater to see it. I didn’t think it bad, I just didn’t think it was great. I guess people either love or hate it.

5 Likes

I was glad to see it! I think it’s an amazing movie in several ways.

This explainer opened my eyes (though not a third one) to its great handling of masculinity.

23 Likes

It’s by far my favorite film of the past decade at least. I am so glad to see it getting all the awards the writers, actors, and directors deserve. I’m rooting for it at the Hugo awards this year, too.

18 Likes

I saw it three times in the theater and instantly bought HD Blu-ray even though I don’t currently have a player or screen to watch it. So, yeah.

11 Likes

Well, EEAAO didn’t nab Best Actor, but the studio A24 swept the major categories–Best Actress (Yeoh, EEAAO), Best Picture (EEAAO), Best Supporting Actress (Curtis, EEAAO), Best Supporting Actor (Quan, EEAAO), Best Director (Kwan, EEAAO), Best Actor (Fraser, Whale). First time ever.

9 Likes

Given the quality of A24’s films in general, it seems like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

12 Likes

I’m hoping that Kwan and Scheinert take on a sequel for this classic with a title already made for them:

Throw in googly eyes, kung fu fighting, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michelle Yeoh and replace Eastwood with Ke Huy Quan and it’s sure to be a hit!

5 Likes

I would have picked Stephanie Hsu over Curtis for supporting actress. It should have won for sound design and wasn’t nominated. Should have won costume, too. Writing, directing and editing wins were totally deserved.

8 Likes

i still think about “The Green Knight” often. It was a beautiful movie. And loved EEAAO. A24 is putting out some really fine films.

10 Likes

Stephanie Hsu was amazing in that film.

10 Likes

Absolutely deserved.

Personally, I don’t check for awards shows in general; still, that entire cast and crew did a stellar job, and they deserve all the accolades.

You’re genuinely the first person I have ‘heard’ say that they didn’t like it - I haven’t heard of anyone “hating” it at all.

20 Likes

Pretty much some here, but I do know people with no interest in it. Just not their copy of tea, which is fine with any kind of entertainment. I’m not going to try to convince them otherwise.

I also know a couple of people who tried but gave up part way through because they found it hard to follow. :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

So there’s an interesting footnote on this. Yeoh is, technically, the first woman who identifies as Asian to win for Best Actress, not the first woman with Asian ancestry to win. Merle Oberon and Vivian Leigh both had Indian ancestry and hid it. Cher, who is of Armenian ancestry, does not identify as having Asian ancestry even though Armenia is technically in Asia. And Israel is also technically in Asia, but Natalie Portman also does not identify as Asian. Nor should she or Cher, in my opinion, but … continents are weird is what I’m saying.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I think this is why Yeoh’s win is so important. In the past, two very talented actresses who won Oscars felt the need to hide who they were just to have a career, and they were probably right. And I know they weren’t the only ones.

14 Likes

It was well deserved. A fabulous film made on a shoestring budget- especially compared to that other multiverse movie it competed with.

14 Likes

Indeed; nothing in existence appeals to absolutely everyone - as a species, people just aren’t wired like that.

Still, my experience is very similar to yours; the ‘worst’ opinions that I have encountered in regards to EEAAO were mere disinterest or confusion.

13 Likes

Yes, continents and borders are weird, and worse than weird of course has been Hollywood’s dealings with race. Indigeneity has also been constantly handled poorly at best, and yet, Cher got some mileage out of being exotified as a supposed “half breed” (when she wasn’t singing about being a “gypsy”). :confused:

And back more on topic, it’s good to see Oscars So White embrace, as with the historic wins by Parasite, Asian representation (even if that’s profitable too).

16 Likes

I had mostly forgotten about Cher’s Half Breed song. Yeah, it’s probably best for her that she not claim Asian ancestry.

5 Likes

Great video. Thanks for posting it!

3 Likes