Excellent lemon/lime squeezer

Judging from the other replies, I am clearly not a lemon/lime aficionado, no. Up until now I would have thought the primary use for any such juice would be in minute quantities for baking, wherein any delicate variations in flavor would be lost.

3 Likes

My mom had one of these she bought in a Mexican mercado back in the 60s. She uses it still. I bought two from my local Pro’s, and use 'em constantly. (They cost about 6 bucks apiece.)

When you add in remembering to buy said lemon/lime, and ending up throwing out what you didn’t use in time, it’s not really as easy and cheap as it seems.

Maybe I just need to drink more cocktails.

Or use more citrus zest in your cooking?
I buy 'em for my soda stream fizzy water consumption, and cut and dry the zest and keep it for future use. The zest is essential in my re-fried beans!

You dry your own zest? Why did I never think of that?!

So, use a zester, let it dry overnight on the counter, put in glass container for later use?

Or do you use a grater?

I’ve never used zest or lime juice in my refried beans, but to be fair, I’ve never used a recipe for them, either!

1 Like

I slice it off in long strips with a sharp knife, then lay it on a screen in my kitchen window (the splatter screen for the frying pan works well) to let it dry in the sun, then jar it. Sometimes I’ll chop it fine and use it or sometimes whole so I can fish out the large pieces after simmering. Its very nice, not bitter at all! And I do all citrus! Blood oranges are especially nice! Slice like this, try to get as little white pith as possible (its too bitter!) you need to cut on a curve with the fruit.

4 Likes

That’s the catch. The other catch is actually getting cheap produce. My local grocery store sells limes for anywhere from .50 - $1 each. So if I’m stocked up on cheap citrus, great! Otherwise, I absolutely fall back on the bottled stuff and correct the recipe as needed, usually by adding some Tajin seasoning, which is basically powdered lime and chile.

2 Likes

Tajin is SOOOOO GOOD! I got everyone I know onto it! But its got next to no chilli in it. Its basically just lime salt (which you can also buy at latin stores and is also amazing!) I have some chilli/lime/salt that is crazy hot, basically just chilli salt, delicious, but hot!

No. Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it out.

1 Like

It really depends on the quality of your source fruits.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.