Excuse me, might I trouble you to ask what you are listening to on your podcast machine?

Look who has a podcast!!!

bj hidden place GIF

3 Likes

Recently I started listening to Murder Hobos, “a biographical podcast about chivalry violence and other masculine nonsense throughout history”. So far I have listened to episodes about William Marshal, Götz von Berlichingen and the duel of the Mignons, plus Q&A episodes for each. What I really like about it is that the level feels just right. It is very acessible and entertaining without feeling too dumbed fown. That’s more than can be said about much pop history.

2 Likes

Dear Old Dads

Hey kids, get ON our lawn! Dear Old Dads is a podcast examining and deconstructing all things Dad.

Apparently the only explicit parenting podcast.

It features Matt Parker, Steve Mould and Helen Arney talking about things that you wouldn’t believe could be interesting, but turn out to be fascinating when you get down to the nitty and / or gritty. Each episode starts with a single phrase and brings together three unique takes on it from the three Spoken Nerds.

Struggling musician and successful delivery driver Andrew O’Neill has inadvertently opened a portal to another dimension in their flat. This is a very bad thing. A million demons have flooded through and they’re getting in everyone’s way. A comedy about being stuck between worlds - human and demon, millennials and boomers. This is the first narrative comedy starring a non-binary character.

3 Likes

20,000 Hertz, a podcast related to sound. This was a recent good episode related to how the brain processes sound, and cochlear implants.

3 Likes

Something I posted to the AI thread. It’s Joshua Topolsky’s new podcast, which is fun, but less fun than the wider ranging, more bonkers Tomorrow podcast that he used to do with Ryan Houlihan
This one is more of an interview show so far, with interesting people in tech.

The airport bestsellers that captured our hearts and ruined our minds

First episode:

In 2005, two men named Steven and Stephen published the quintessential airport book [Freakonomics]. In 2022, two men named Mike and Peter started a whole podcast just to make fun of it.

The Lions Led By Donkeys podcast is a military history podcast for laughing at the worst military failures, inept commanders, and crazy stories from throughout the history of human conflict.

The Nonsense Bazaar is a weekly comedy, paranormal, and conspiracy theory podcast.
The Nonsense Bazaar is an exercise in absurdity and hyperparanoia.
The Nonsense Bazaar is an ontological war machine.
The Nonsense Bazaar is your friend.

One of my favorite episodes of theirs:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Cool - I don’t know anything about any of these, obv, but I think that podcasts are potentially a good way for agencies to communicate information to the public. If they are done accurately and responsibly then it means potential for a more informed electorate. I really enjoy it when people in government show up on podcasts to talk abot whet they are doing or problems in their area of expertise (Factually, the Vergecast, Mindscape and a few others I listen to regularly do this.

I like it!

1 Like
1 Like

I am not generally a “true crime” podcast fan… but given this:

I’m gonna give this a listen:

3 Likes

I had the feeling that the CBC Radio link I’m using for my Internet radio was getting out of date.

It definitely doesn’t have this one.

https://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/letsmakeascifi.xml

1 Like

Cross posting from another thread

2 Likes

I loved Let’s Make a Sci-fi, and I really think their final script would make a good TV show. Although I was frustrated that nobody told them about the existence of Ascension, which had a lot of the same themes. It was even produced by the CBC.

I’m glad the follow up season Let’s Make a RomCom is shortly to be released.

2 Likes

Some guy named Cory Doctorow and a very smart lady named Rebecca, that I am just happily learning about, are on the Decoder podcast, complaining about capitalism

5 Likes

https://cerisecastle.me/

1 Like

The wild true crime story behind the cultural phenomenon Chippendales.

Historian Natalia Petrzela exposes one of the great, sordid, unexamined stories in American culture.

This is good if you have Spotify.

Oh and this just left Amazon music:

Disgraceland is a podcast about musicians getting away with murder and behaving very badly. Thirty-ish minute episodes that trace the most insane criminal stories surrounding our most interesting and infamous pop stars.

Disgraceland melds music history, true crime and transgressive fiction. Disgraceland is not journalism. Disgraceland is entertainment. Entertainment inspired by true events. However, certain scenes, characters and names are sometimes fictionalized for dramatic purposes.

Dr. Ronald Dante is a talented hypnotist (and not an actual doctor) whose mind-bending schemes span decades. Dante worked the smoke-filled nightclubs of 1960s Hollywood and rode the self-help craze of the 1980s and 90s, hypnotizing women out of their fortunes, taking out hits on his rivals and opening up one of the biggest fake universities in history. Host Sam Mullins tracks Dante through yacht clubs, prison cells, trailer parks and theme parks to uncover the unbelievable true story of the greatest con man you’ve never heard of.

Presentation is bit OTT but I like it.

1 Like

http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/category/podcast/skeptics-with-a-k/

It’s a bit of a cliche for me to listen to this podcast given my handle in this forum, but I actually do like the skeptics with the k podcast. The title is making fun of the British spelling of skeptic that uses a c, a spelling they don’t use for their podcast.

There have been some incidents in the skeptical community in recent years that have been unacceptable. I believe the Merseyside Skeptics are on the right side of those issues.

2 Likes

They also run The Skeptic.

They publish stuff like this:

Thanks I haven’t seen those. So I’ll have to look into them. They look problematic.

His podcast:

1 Like