Experiments with thermochromic hair dye

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/21/experiments-with-thermochromic.html

6 Likes

21 Likes

There is no volume control on this video. There is no indication of how much has played, or how long it is. I suppose getting rid of those pesky controls simplifies the viewer experience. I wonder where this is video hosted.

6 Likes

I am curious on the time of transition. The video looks stop motion.

6 Likes

It definitely appears sped up to me.

Though my question is, how severe is the transition in real-life applications? I mean, is the change in the video due to ambient temperature changes, or from being hit with a concentrated stream of air from a hair dryer?

5 Likes

I think only a little. The real magic comes from the giant, variable temp hair dryer they use off camera to blast that kid with.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I’m sure that in many regions, the difference between external summertime temps and internal AC would nicely replicate that amount of temp change…

4 Likes

5 Likes

That should go well with my mood ring.

11 Likes

Agreed, that’s a really annoying video player.

3 Likes

I haven’t dyed my hair a fun color in over a decade. I was trying to blend in with those “responsible adult” types at my desk job. It’s no fair to make it even more awesome!

8 Likes

“Semi-permanent” is such an odd phrase.

7 Likes

Add one of those color changing t-shirts from the 90s and you’re all set. They call me, The Chameleon!

(No, japhroaig, they call you a babbons rear end)

9 Likes

Moving the cursor around showed this:

the application of the dye is currently semi-permanent lasting over a few washes.

Begs the question how much one application costs …

2 Likes

Yea, I was able to stop it after a few panic-filled seconds of “Aagh! Too loud! Volume, volume!”

1 Like

It definitely is. Sort of reminiscent of this from George Carlin: “Jumbo Shrimp”

2 Likes

And that is why I mute all videos on initial play, unless I am specifically looking for a soundtrack.

1 Like

If you’re really wanting to channel chameleon, there is also this!

2 Likes

Makes me Total(ly) Recall this:

7 Likes