Explaining Intersectionality and feminism: men are burgers, women pizza. But there are many kinds of pizza

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Waiting for the gaggle of people pissed off about the term intersectionality… If it’s anything like the thread on the comic about white privilege, it should be a fun time.

13 Likes

The key difference is that a bad pizza won’t leave you traumatized and your life in ruins, you’ll never catch it having sex with your best friend, and it won’t give you herpes.

6 Likes

Tell that to the lactose intolerant, brah.

EDIT:
While I find the pizza analogy somewhat opaque, I’m pretty surprised that intersectionality isn’t commonly accepted (i.e. needs explaining).

2 Likes

I’m offended by Akilah’s close-minded, ill-informed opinion of burgers.

3 Likes

Just look at the thread on white privilege and you’ll see why…

2 Likes

Or someone with multiple allergies and no tests, trying to figure out what might have triggered that allergic reaction…

Home-made pizza helps with allergies, because you now what’s in it. No cheese helps with lactose intolerance. Care with the sauce helps with fructose mal, but tomatoes do have fructose regardless. No mushrooms helps with alcohol mal [mannitol can be a trigger].

Mod note: stay on topic.

2 Likes

I would honestly rather not. I’ve seen enough of the posts that I can extrapolate the end state by simply copy/pasting.

I meant that if one accepts the concepts of male privilege and white privilege, then it shouldn’t be a huge leap to accept the intersection of the two (or the intersection of the complements, to be precise).

3 Likes

Intersectionality has been too “jargon-y” for me to really follow, but this video makes perfect sense and yeah, the more unified the voices calling for change, the more likely they are to be taken seriously. Cheese pizzas should definitely strive to recognize deluxe pizzas.

And speaking as a burger, I’d like to see both cheese pizzas and deluxe pizzas in more places, because this burger-world is…kind of a sausage fest.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/3789795_o.gif#rimshot%20gif%20320x240

6 Likes

I’m glad I ate before watching that. I couldn’t have enjoyed it as much if I was drooling over all the pizzas.

(Proud to be a bison burger who support all kinds of pizzas.)

1 Like

No anchovies, please.

Intersectionality is cool, and it’s good that people are trying to explain it, but the metaphor seemed half-hearted and inapplicable.

The basic point was a good one: foods are different from each other, and that doesn’t mean they’re better or worse. But some foods are seen as standard/universal, while others are seen as unusual deviations from that standard.

But pizzas aren’t criticized for having toppings, nor do people celebrate when a topping “unnaturally” shows up on a cheese pizza. And pizzas don’t “identify” as burgers and what would that even mean…the rest of it doesn’t make sense. Unless you already knew about intersectionality and how it applies to humans, and could therefore tell that she’s abandoned the metaphor and is just actually talking about humans but using food words.

I only complain because I think metaphors can be a really great way to explain things like this, and I’d like to see people run with it.

5 Likes

I thought she was talking about that pizza girl in this gum commercial when I first read the article

Um… I can get a cheese burger pizza. And I can get a pizza burger as well. I think they can “identify” as the other pretty damn well actually :smile:

3 Likes

I thought the same thing about pizza not being criticized for toppings, but then I remembered trying to order one pizza for a group of people. Some people don’t eat pork, some don’t like olives, and I’ve known people to refuse chicken as a legitimate topping. The further you get from the default of cheese, the less likely you are to have a generally acceptable pizza.

The pizza metaphor isn’t perfect, metaphors almost never are, but I think it works out alright as long as people get the point.

1 Like

So all through the video I’m wondering where deluxe burgers fit into this, because naturally we must fix the problems of deluxe burgers and cheese pizza before tackling deluxe pizza. I felt like burgers had been reduced to a single flavor here and was upset by that. I say this merely to provide information.

I don’t really have a grasp on intersectionality. Is it just a mistake everyone makes, “you have problems so you should empathize with my problems”? Or is there some actual value to finding a common cause, or on focusing on each intersection individually?

3 Likes

I too found that rather troubling. It assumes a monoculture of burger: where a McD’s “It hit it burger” is the same as a heart attack burger.

1 Like

(duplicate)